Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is looking at this car, and I'm looking for some advice.
I'm an old muscle car dad, and don't really know the "value" of these cars.
I looked at it, and all I could tell was that it looked really cool.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1993 Mazda MX6
2.0, 50K
Performance Clutch
Konig Rims
Custom Paint (dark blue)
Carbon Fiber Hood
Body Kit w/ Spoiler
$6000

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The problem is that you really can't factor that kind of stuff into the price when you sell a car. That price is a bit high. Plus, if you're a muscle car dad you should look into the 2.5 v6 and make sure it's an mtx :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
6000 is a bit high for an rs. but is has some work done to it, and has low miles.
if it were 6 canadian, and i had the money, i'd invest into it...

look at it from this point of view.
how old is your son?? how experienced is he with cars?
it's a 4 cyl 17 second mx6... it would be a nice looking car with 120 hp. At least your son won't be tempted to speed so much. so in that case, i think it's a good start. And it already has body work done to it, so he will stand out for the girls :D

but yea.. the seller is asking 6, doesn't mean he won't go lower.
offer him 5 or something, see what happens

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
the price they list is simply a request, that's how i look at it, 6 is high but with a little talk and price negotiating you could easily get it to a reasonable cost. like they said earlier you can't factor in the price of parts and body work into the price very much or else i could sell my 93 RS auto for well over 12g's! just knock the price down a little and get your son on here if you pick it up for him!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Thats some LOW miles for a 93. Depends ont he overall condition (dents, how good the body work was, how nice the paint is, ect.). And what is the interior like? it doesn't sound toooo bad as long as you can get the price down a little. And if your sons looking for a fast car, find an LS 5spd. :tup:

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
get a clean 1g GT....cheaper and faster than a 2g V6 ;)

cheaper to up the horsepower as well
and a good bit more ugly in a lot of peoples opinions..... they said the look is what drew them into it, so I am guessing that IS something they want.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
true...the 1g is different looking....IMO, the 2g looks feminine to me and the 1g looks more masculine, with the blistered fenders and sharp corners, as the 2g is more "flowing" with curves.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
true...the 1g is different looking....IMO, the 2g looks feminine to me and the 1g looks more masculine, with the blistered fenders and sharp corners, as the 2g is more "flowing" with curves.
I agree completly:tup: the 2nd gen looks more feminine but thats why I call it a "her" :D

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Personally I like the look of 1st gens better, I tend to be a fan of boxier early 90's cars :D The second gen is definitely sexy though, and I can see why some people like them better.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
$6,000 is way too high even for that kind of mileage. The mods doesn't mean a single thing to anybody. A 93 with that kind of specs shouldn't go for more than $4,000 and it better be 100% clean and 100% stock; it being modded would lead me to LOWER the price into the $3500 range as you really have to question "What happened to it?"

The seller might blow a vein when you tell him that but a modded car will ALWAYS go for a LOWER price than an all original when it comes to low mileage and rare examples.

Frankly speaking 50K miles isn't low mileage nor is an I4 rare by any stretch of the imagination. I would hold out for an clean LS with less than 80k miles, they can be had for well under $5,000 and your son won't be questioning himself for not researching more and gettingn stuck with an I4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts