Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well how is everyone on this fine evening? Just today i had a few mates over and one decided that he would act on my want for a louder BOV and blocked off my plumback part so that my bov (which is standard) goes into the air and yes it is loud as hell!! We blocked off the hose with a piece of wood in the tube held in tight with clamps.

But i have a question about how to stop it poping and dropping the revs a bit when i let off the accelerator and release the BOV. Currently i let off the revs and it drops more then it should then pops back up and drops again. Its more annoying to me at the moment then anything but its one of those things that i just would really like to get rid of. Has anyone got any suggestions for me short of putting it all back together?

Thanks guys and gals and have a great night.

RPR89

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It's possible that the BOV might be sticking open causing the ecu to receive an 'incorrect' reading from the AFM. What happens is the metered air is escaping via the BOV venting the air to the atmosphere. The ecu is telling the injectors to throw in enough fuel for the air coming in, but since some of it is escaping, there is then a bit too much fuel for the air that's actually entering the motor. If the BOV is sticking open, or not closing quickly enough, it will act as a vac. leak and play around with the idle/revs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea it would definitely be messing with the air flow meter. Not much i can suggest to fix it with leaving it the way it is. I had some fun doing similar things in the past. quickest way to solve this would be to put the bypass valve "standard bov" back in place. Depends if you can live with not having the noise :) If you already access to an aftermarket blow off valve use that? or buy a cheap one from eBay :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks for the help guys, i think ill keep running it for a few more weeks or until i get done and then ill most likely be over the noise. Mind you there is a huge difference between the normal noise and the loud woosh you get from blocking it off. If anyone is bored and want to have a bit of fun then i reccommend you cut the tip off your wooden broom handle and block it off!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a 10 year old article on it. Read the end part, and they show you how to run that setup properly.

Browser Warning

But remember on a VAF metered system, you're dumping a whole lot of air that has been metered

1 - 6 of 6 Posts