Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my slimline fan is shot and causing me to overheat, and finally made me park it and tear it apart and do everything ive needed to do forever now.

so, i need a good slimline fan. there are tons of them on ebay, i am wondering if anyone has any experience with a certain type/sellers fan that is doing good for you.

im not forking out 200$ for a flex a lite :shrug:.

let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
im not forking out 200$ for a flex a lite :shrug:
Anything else on eBay are Chinese crap, so it's up to you. Or you can go back to OEM.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flex a lite are great, but retardo expensive.

i am looking at a set of flex a lite 210 "sport compact", but they are too wide. my coolant overflow/bubble separator thing sit right on the radiator, and i cannot fit 2 fans in it.

i might just cut it in half :p.

chef you want the other one?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would say so. I ran a cheap ass ebay 14" by it self and i never over heated.. or even came close.

im gonna go with:

eBay Motors: 14" 1550 CFM Push/Pull Slim Radiator Fans+Mounts x2 (item 180339729655 end time Mar-30-09 13:50:03 PDT)
for 25$ a pop, i dont care if they take a shit on me in a year.

and i think im going to be trick and stick this in the front (where i still have a little space below my IC pipes, as a pusher) and wire it to the AC fan control. Then anytime i want a little extra cooling i'll just turn on my AC (which i dont have...), and it will just flip this little bastard on.

eBay Motors: 8" 1550 CFM Push/Pull Slim/Thin Radiator Fan+Mount (item 180339444743 end time Mar-29-09 15:53:22 PDT)

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Those first ones look okay Colin. They would be pretty easy to replace when they take a shit on you.

I'll have to remember that AC trick the next time I have my car out. It would help me feel better about the 210+ temps I get sometimes. I've seen the max recorded temp. in MS at around 219 or so but I have never watched it climb that high. I am pretty sure the car needs a few fluid flushes/changes. :p

Would there be any benefit to fitting a oil cooler in there too?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not sure, it COULD, but i highly doubt you'd see any noticabely cooler engine temps. Money would be much better spent elsewhere, like a good aluminium radiator.

this guy in michigan had a fluidyne one for the probe that i told him i'de buy, but he sold it already.

if you really wanna do good, get a vented hood ;).

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Check out the Flex-a-Lite one Jordan is selling, probably too much for your budget, tho it's 2500CFM and it's a direct fits on stock radiator.

im not sure, it COULD, but i highly doubt you'd see any noticabely cooler engine temps. Money would be much better spent elsewhere, like a good aluminium radiator.
Our radiator is good enough to do its job, I believe a more reliable fan is more important, I wouldn't want my fan to crap out on me while I'm going somewhere and not know about it.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are prolly the same ones i can get the deal on right now. i just cant fit a fan on the drivers side with the way my coolant lines are, and i dont see any other way around it.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Bump!

What did you end up doing Colin? I have my entire radiator removed presently so replacing the fans would be super easy to do.

I am sure this is a simple question but can you wire both of the fans together so they come on at once? You were talking about using the AC fan control but it would probably work better to just have the two fans running together all the time.

Also, are these generally quieter than the stock fans are? My stock fans were way too loud for my taste. They sound like my computer tower. :p

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought a curved 14" one off ebay for 30$ shipped, and i got it. It looks/works awesome (so far).

i also bought the two 8" ones i linked to, but they havent gotten here yet.

yes you can wire them together, just run both of the positives and negatives from both fans into one +/-, and run that into the passenger side fan harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts