Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month I have been getting emails in regards to the check engine light coming on and off during high speeds. This would usually occur when either the RPM goes over 4000 or when you hit speeds over 130kph. After doing a little research I found that the 626 Cronos has the same problem too. So I changed the front 02 sensor (code 17) in my friend's Cronos and it worked. We tested it @195-200kph on the highway for 15 minutes (top speed that is and avg. 120kph mostly) and the light never came on. So I replaced it on my 93' LS and guess what, it did the job! It was based on luck though. Get a computer readout from a shop and email it to me so that I can cross reference the code for you.
*IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE TIME NOR MONEY ON THIS JOB TRY SWITCHING TO SHELL GASOLINE (SILVER/GOLD) FIRST. SOME PEOPLE THAT SWITCHED TO SHELL FOUND LITTLE OR NO SIGNS OF THE LIGHT AGAIN*
I haven't inquired about the gasolines sold in the United States, so if you guys want to test it out please do so and give us an update.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This is a common problem with the KL-series engines it turns out. You can also find instructions for reading the codes on Mike 94PGT's site, Julian Bradbury's site(probably the most thourough site) and in the SCPOC link in my signature. Both Mike's and the link will tell you how to read the codes on pre-96 cars in the US and others outside the US. For 96-up in the US you will need to have the dealer pull the code.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts