Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, How performance would i expect to lose if i my car suddenly gained about 80 or so pounds a little bit forward of the rear tires. How much performance in terms of acceleration and road handling capabilities would i be without then?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Just thought I'd share but our cars are suggested to hold a maximum of 650 pounds. (which isn't that much because I've had sub box + 2 subs, full trunk and 5-6people in my car at once.)

That's when you really realize a drop in performance. I'd say anything above 200pounds (ontop of your weight) is noticeable.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Acceleration is determined mostly by the power/weight ratio (ignoring friction and wind resistance).
The curb weight of the MX6 LS is 2700lbs (that's for the 93, the 94 is a little heavier, I think). http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?src=compare&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t8946&v=t8931&v=t8723
Add driver and a tank of gas, and lets say 2900lbs to keep the maths simple. An 80lbs weight increase is a 2.76% increase, and is equivalent to a 2.76% reduction in horsepower, in terms of its effect on the power/weight ratio. Stock horsepower is 164, and 2.76% of 164 is 4.5. So it's equivalent to a loss of 4.5 horsepower. Your acceleration times (0 to 60 etc.) will also be slower by approximately 2.76%. That's about 0.2 seconds for the 0 to 60mph.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
kc 93'ls said:
The only time I notice a loss of power is when I have people in the back seats.
and longer stopping distances

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty's thanks for all the input. I just scored a fat sub and a pretty weighty amp, coupled with the hookups and everything for it, it should ammount to about 80 or so pounds. But i'll be stoked to still be smoking fools even with my fat ass sub :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.