Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so i was really really bored today, so i decided to spray some things in the engine bay with a bit of spray paint i got.

Fuse Box Cover: 2 Coats of Chrome Lacquer, and 1 coat of Clear Coat

All the Lids etc: 1 Coat of Chrome Lacquer, 2 Coats of Anodized Purple and 1 coat of Clear Coat.

The Fuse box cover turned out really well, but im not too happy with the purple bits, so im thinking of spraying them again tomorrow, either in a different colour/different type of paint, or just leave it chrome.

Pics:

BEFORE:

FUSE BOX COVER/LIDS WITH CHROME LACQUER:

(Dont mind the random items i found in the back yard in order to keep the newspaper from flying away because of the wind :p)

(My sister wanted her calculator cover in Chrome too :p)

LIDS SPRAYED WITH ANODIZED PURPLE PAINT:

ALL PUT BACK IN PLACE:

AFTER (I know its not much, but i least i found something to occupy me with for the day so i dont die of boredom :) )

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Nice way to occupy some time. :tup: Fresh paint can make all the difference if it is done right. It looks like you should have let things dry a little longer between coats and putting them on the car. Also, primer helps things to look better when you are finished.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you ever tried polishing with "AutoSol"? I did my cylinder head (4 banger) and a couple other parts and man, they almost came out with a mirror finish. I'm sure that with some more time I can get them to the "Polished Aluminum" state. AutoSol is also great for clearing up composite headlight's of that haze crap. Check it out next time you got some free time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice way to occupy some time. :tup: Fresh paint can make all the difference if it is done right. It looks like you should have let things dry a little longer between coats and putting them on the car. Also, primer helps things to look better when you are finished.
Yeah, i was rushing a little bit, because my parents car was parked in the garage, and i parked in the driveway behind them. I couldnt move the car without fitting all those caps back into place :p

Honestly, the chrome just looks silver. Still looks good though.
The Chrome paint only gets its effect on metal surfaces i think. Doesnt work too well with plastic.

Have you ever tried polishing with "AutoSol"? I did my cylinder head (4 banger) and a couple other parts and man, they almost came out with a mirror finish. I'm sure that with some more time I can get them to the "Polished Aluminum" state. AutoSol is also great for clearing up composite headlight's of that haze crap. Check it out next time you got some free time.
Oh okay, Nice. I'll give it a go one day :tup:

Looks good to me, but I woulda just put ONE coat of anodized purple...seems a little too dark.
Yeah, it does seem a little too dark, and a little too glossy for my liking. The anodized paint is also meant for shiny metal surfaces, so it doesnt go all that well with plastic, even with a "chrome" undercoat.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The anodized paint is also meant for shiny metal surfaces, so it doesnt go all that well with plastic, even with a "chrome" undercoat.
Unless you have some weird Rad Cap, I believe it's made of metal, and thats the thing I was reffering to in my comment. Even on that which is made fo metal, it looks too dark...:shrug:

Fuse Box cover looks gerat though!:tup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks good :)

ps. this air filter, short intake like this, is in my opinion worst intake to MX-6 ever made! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts