Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I saw a few posts on Probetalk and HAD to jump on this. I got them for total of $192 shipped. Damn good price if you ask me for some stainless steel headers so I bid and won them.

I paid for them and I here they are 4 days later. Awesome shipping service, they shipped 1 day after I paid sofar I am very happy. Big box came to my place, rushed out and busted them open.

What is this?
A box inside a box:D

Look at all of that bubble wrap, gonna be a fun night!

Whoa, is that real stainless steel?

And what a sexy toe huh?

Crappy pictures from now on, but check out the welds.

Gotta say, I should have backed off a bit to get focus.

Clean welds

Not the best port job ever, but someone actually tried.

And look, they actually use a porting template.

GLORY HOLE shot.

Amazing, whoever made these actually cared what they look like!

Check out the flanges, they are actually uniformed and smooth.

OHHHH STICKERS!!!!!!

Well I got that for less than $200, gotta say I am very happy. They will need a flex pipe welded on so I'll get that done in a few weeks. I will do a more detailed port job and run the inside through some glass beads to smooth it out more. These will not be going on the car until next year when I get my ZE, or maybe next month when I get soo impatient and slap them on. We'll see who will win out. Fitment should net about the same as the PS which isn't great, but hey, it's SS and that alone will be enough to forgive most of the sins it will commit.

If you are in the market for headers and going for the ghetto fabulous wallet book than gotta get a set of these. They're gonna look nice once they wear in from the exhaust gasses. Already got my tets pipe now all i need is the ZE and a cat back and it will all get slap on the car.

:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks good, lets hope the performance is as good as the looks. If so, then I will be looking for some VERY soon.

G

·
0 Posts
SSAutoCrome makes headers for my T-bird, and they are total crap. They crack at the same weld every time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i had installed mine last year and there was a leak right after a season of winter. maybe it was from all the salt buildup. hope you don't live in a cold climate city with snow.
good luck.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
man, you got lucky on that bid. i got mine for $300. i will let you know if i get any leaks with mine.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
n4te33 said:
i had installed mine last year and there was a leak right after a season of winter. maybe it was from all the salt buildup. hope you don't live in a cold climate city with snow.
good luck.
Call me crazy but I could have sworn these were just released within the last 2 months. How did you get a set of SS headers from them last year? Was it a custom job? And I live in Southern California, the only cold I see here is in my freezer and the only salt on the road is the ones i put there :D

And greenbird, yeah i have heard of their not so great quality. But on the other hand I've also heard alot of good things about them within the last 1 year or so. Was the T-bird running on some sort of boost? I doubt these will crack since no headers made for the 2nd gen have ever cracked, maybe leaked and sounds like crap but i doubt any cracking will occur. Oh and I am assuming you had a Flexpipe welded on yours? I do agree that slip joint will probably crack something on the car, but a flexpipe should solve most of those problems if any.

·
Registered
471 Posts
man you got me so jelous i have 200 bucks just collecting dust. i cant wait till you get all your stuff going. i used to have pacesetters but they were welded on and when i swapped my engine they had to be cut off.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
they look very similar or identical to the PS headers. btw, i have the PS and i think all the welds are gone and its leaking. i think i have to remove it, get it reweld then chrome it. cuz when it was fine, it gave a very noticeable HP gain.
u got a really great deal on those since they are SS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got my obx back in april and I got it for 165 shipped from ebay new from ss autochrome I had to have a shop weld in a second bung for the o2 sensor but besides that works fine

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah these looks almost identical to the PS. If you guys search on Probetalk there is a huge thread abut how these are. The general concensus that all of us arrived at was that it is a good buy. The welds are much better than any PS headers ever made, just look at some of the pics on here and probetalk. They could have added a flexpipe but i think they were trying to cut costs.

The main selling point on these are the fact that they are STAINLESS STEEL, which makes the biggest difference. All of PS headers are steel with either black paint or ceramic coating, both of which are crap compared to stainless steel. Have not installed these yet but they are going on soon, i check all the welds closely and do not see a single leak in them, matter of fact no one has seen a leak in them yet so that speaks volume about the welding.

And folks, these are for the V6 and they are stainless steel. I see comments about 4 cylinders header and PS steel headers, unless you ave these exact headers any info you give is pretty much irrelevant. But those who do have them that put them on before me please post how they fit and if there are any leaks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
no leaks on mine but make sure you put on the egr pipe on first before putting the header bolts
it will save you a ton of headache trying to screw in the egr after you tighten up the header bolts and bottom pipe bolts and use thread lock for the three bolts in the middle mine vibrated loose
I blew out my gasket because of that and haven't been able to find a replacement I had to make my own to fit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts