Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I want to go to the state referee. I hear its only 30something to get it checked out. I tried asking him if I could go to state referee but he said he was going to check everything and my intake and header are the only thing not street legal(enginewise).

I even told the cop about the 95 decibel thing, and he said it's still modified. I just want to get it tested because I don't want to change my exhaust, it looks perfect right now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
wierd, did you ask him why you were stopped. did you have a i4 or v6? cause if you had a v6, how would he manage to know it was street legal.

Reactions: gchild

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

I'd do some searching in here if I were you. Sounds to me like BS if:
#1 No Smog devices were removed nor altered.
#2 The decibel amount hasn't been exceeded.
Regulations Governing Exhaust Systems

27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.

(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Amended Sec. 3, Ch. 569, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=50721

California Exhaust Noise Testing Program Open for Business - 2003

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has begun operation of the state’s motor vehicle exhaust noise testing program. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, will equip California automobile hobbyists to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Motorists can now prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards. The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued.

Approximately 40 Smog Check stations that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations, located across the state, will issue certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95 decibels, under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation will be permitted to submit their vehicle for the test. Later this year, BAR will issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests performed prior to the official establishment of the testing fee will be performed at no cost to consumers.

According to BAR officials, to have a cited vehicle tested at a state referee center, motorists must make an appointment by calling a toll-free number. Cited motorists should have the citation and vehicle registration available when calling.

"The new law forces compliance with an objectively measured standard in a fair and predictable test," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "Through this procedure, cited motorists who drive vehicles legally equipped with modified exhaust systems can confirm that those vehicles comply with California’s exhaust noise standards.
"For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels were not excessive or unusual," McDonald added. "That policy left exhaust system manufacturers, dealers and their customers without recourse."

Hobbyists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance "prefer aftermarket exhaust systems," McDonald said. "By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program should serve to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them, and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law."

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you Teri! I was going to search when I got home from work, but that's exactly what I needed.

The only smog device removed was the precat on the stock manifold, and of course the intake. And the exhaust is louder than from stock form, but I believe less than 95 db.

So I would probably have to put my intake and exhaust manifold back on right? Will my headlights or anything else need to be changed while I get my [shizzle] checked out?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I've got all those sites in my favorites because I'm a Govt. Safety Nazi.:ewink:
Seriously, I run the motorcycle safety program, and I have to constantly back up equipment infractions with the regs the rider violated (i.e. turnsignals, helmets, bald tires, mufflers).

I can understand if the officer thought your muffler was too loud, but the headers should be okay if there are fittings for the original smog equipment.

Lights / noise / smog / safety equipment: there's no other reason to pull you over other than moving violations (other than harrasement of cruisers and racers) :shrug: To get the ticket to go away, you're gonna have to have something from an inspection station and go to court.

Check out the lighting section to make sure whatever you have is legal...

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I know my lights are illegal, (hids in angel eyes). I know the header isn't carb exempt, as well as the intake. I do have a cat and the header has a egr hookup.

Anyone know of a place to get it tested or how to do a pretest?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Did he send you to the referee or just give you a fix it ticket? if you go to the referee all he has to do is the exhuast part of the test. Nothing else. if you only got cited for the exhuast.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
probinator said:
Did he send you to the referee or just give you a fix it ticket? if you go to the referee all he has to do is the exhuast part of the test. Nothing else. if you only got cited for the exhuast.
He wanted to pop my hood when I said I wanted to go to the referee. Can't I go there anyway?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
gchild said:
He wanted to pop my hood when I said I wanted to go to the referee. Can't I go there anyway?

Yeah you can, what did he give you a ticket for and did he send you to the referee. Did he put a little white sticker on the back for the ref to sign?

if you want, just go to the referee and pay the money like 30 bucks. and have him measure your car. he doesnt have to look at the motor...if you only got a ticket for exhuast.:)

If he just gave you a ticket for exhuast. Go to the ref and just have them measure it. if it passes keep the paper in your car, then fight the ticket and show the judge. Simple but time consuming

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
probinator said:
If he just gave you a ticket for exhuast. Go to the ref and just have them measure it. if it passes keep the paper in your car, then fight the ticket and show the judge. Simple but time consuming
No he didn't stick a sticker on there, i wanted him to so i can go to the ref, but he wanted to pop my hood if i wanted to go to the ref.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
gchild said:
I did get a ticket, it was for a modified exhuast. I did get a warning for my lights.
If you didnt get sent to the ref, and just got a normal fix it ticket, then just go down to the ref. ask that you want to get your exhuast measured, have it measured. if it is within guidelines then take your proof to court. Ask to fight the ticket. Most likely the cop wont show up, but if he does he will start off by saying your Honer hes i was a block away and heard this car blah blah blah and so i pulled him over, and issued a ticket.

Then you say your honer my car has a CARB LEGAL EXHUAST and I even went to the ref and it is within specs. you will hand it to the officer to show him then he will give it to the baliff then to the judge then not guilty.

case dismissed and you saved your self 10 bucks too. if you win you dont have to pay the 10 bucks for the fix it ticket.:D

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
My guess is that he popped your hood because he was looking for Nitrous. If you had, the car would have been impounded. He didn't, so he tried to cover his arse. That's profiling based upon the looks of the car (?).

Follow Probinator's advice. Call the BAR phone number and go to a referee station. This is a ticket that can be discussed with a Judge.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MSGT-R said:
My guess is that he popped your hood because he was looking for Nitrous. If you had, the car would have been impounded. He didn't, so he tried to cover his arse. That's profiling based upon the looks of the car (?).

Follow Probinator's advice. Call the BAR phone number and go to a referee station. This is a ticket that can be discussed with a Judge.
He didn't pop my hood, I asked if I could get it checked out by the referee, but he said it would cost more and he would then have to pop my hood. So I said it's ok. I know what he was looking for...basic non-carb exempt items, and my car was based on profiling(carbon hood, hids, lowered, exhaust, visible gauges, blah blah blah).

What was funny was that I got pulled over a week before this, and it was for racing my friend(kinda). He said my gauges in the a pillar were illegal because they were obstructing my view...good thing I got off with a warning. But is that also true about the gauge thing?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
gchild said:
He didn't pop my hood, I asked if I could get it checked out by the referee, but he said it would cost more and he would then have to pop my hood. So I said it's ok. I know what he was looking for...basic non-carb exempt items, and my car was based on profiling(carbon hood, hids, lowered, exhaust, visible gauges, blah blah blah).

What was funny was that I got pulled over a week before this, and it was for racing my friend(kinda). He said my gauges in the a pillar were illegal because they were obstructing my view...good thing I got off with a warning. But is that also true about the gauge thing?

Never heard of the gauge thing being used but hell anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
ok.

bryan, take this advice from someone who has received the 'modified' exhaust ticket on BOTH of my cars.

first, most law enforcement individuals will cite you for anything not displaying a CARB EO number on your vehicle IF you submit to their search. many will try to strongarm you into submitting by threats of impound or tow; others will simply try to convince you that it's for something inocuous.

second, profiling is illegal. they know it.

third, the VC section that terri posted is exactly what you can use in your defense for the 'modified' exhaust citation. if they're going to cite you for this infraction, then they are the ones who must provide you with the number for the state referee. if they don't, then you can contact the bureau of automotive repair (BAR) and obtain the number from them.

call them when you have the number. they will work with you to find the closest referee station to you. the referee i went to was located at east la college and he was very helpful with what needed to be done. in fact, he was a bit upset at all the people being sent to the referee by overzealous cops.

the 'loud' exhaust or decibel test is free of charge.

now, about the gauge pod. i'm not surprised to hear that they would do what they could to get you for what they could find. yes, it is correct that anything that would obstruct your view is not allowed. this ranges from things hanging from your rear view mirror to the guage pod, however i've seen many guage pods that do not obstruct any view.

the sad part is that i could do all of these things to my cobra and i wouldn't get a second look.

oh, it would certainly behoove the collective law enforcement agencies to send their officers/deputies to the various SEMA shows or to even contact SEMA regarding aftermarket products. SEMA has worked long and hard on educating such agencies on the aftermarket and what is/is not 'legal', even here in CA.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Damon, I knew you got a ticket for it, and I'm glad it would be free to test my car. Now will they check other areas of the car?

It is funny, I've gotten pulled over a couple of times for my exhaust now, but in 2003, I've only gotten pulled over for speeding and what not, and that was 10 times that year! And none said anything about my gauges or my exhuast. I asked one cop about my exhaust and he asked me to rev it, he said it wasn't loud.

If all the stuff I had was in cobra, I wouldn't have gotten pulled over(would get funny looks for the n1 style exhuast lol).

I don't believe my ehxuast is that loud, I was in 1st gear at 4k and then shifted, he was at the Taco Bell across the street. It was 1230 midnight. I was one of two cars on the street. I notice sounds are much more amplified at night.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts