Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I gotta hurry on the repairs now. My wagon I bought to get around in until the MX-6 is repaired, just died on the road today. I saw it coming, but hoped it would last till I get my MX-6 fixed.

I'm not certain about the piston rings. If they're bad, I was going to replace them. But that is pushing my repairs back further, and we're down to 1 car for 2 people, and we work an hour from home, and 1/2 hour from each other's work. Not ideal for 1 car. And I'm not a mechanic, so this will take a bit of time.

So...if the rings don't get replaced now, what should I expect in the future? Burn oil? What's the worst that can happen?

Compression was 90 90 80 100, then 110 110 125 135 when I poured 10cc of oil in each cylinder. But I forgot I needed to turn the crank...so I don't know how that would affect the results.

Bad thing I see is if I want to replace them in the future, I'll have to tear it apart again, and then we'll be stuck with 1 car again. But at least I can choose the time to have 1 car, I can plan for it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This may not help, but my pistons/cylinders don't look any better than your do in your website pictures. I have no intention of changing the rings out. It may be a good idea to get it together and deal with it if it burns oil... and in the meantime, buy another engine to rebuild.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should, as all things are, be repairable. Whether I can do it or not is of course questionable. It probably isn't worth fixing though.

What happened with the wagon?

Several weeks ago, I started noticing a clicking/clacking while decelerating from above 45mph or so. It only held until my foot was off the gas.

Lately, it started doing it when accelerating, and generally, it sounded like it was happening more. It was louder when it was in gear at lower rpms. Went away for the most part when accelerating, or in P or N. Then it started making the noise in P and N.

On the way to work today, I was listening to the clinking clanking noise, and it basically made a single loud CLUNK, almost as if I ran over something metal. It kept going though...figured it was maybe just something vital giving out :rolleyes: . I started looking for somewhere to pull over, with a phone hopefully. But nothing around but "communities." I came to a light, and got in the right lane, just in case. Good thing, because it died, and I coasted off the road.

Got it home, and tried getting it in the driveway, off the street. I should have had him leave it there to begin with. Anyhow, it started up, and made a *****-clink noise, then I tried putting it into gear, and it didn't do anything. Every gear was basically dead.

Earlier, my brother had me unplug a plug in front of the transmission, that I guess affects the torque converter. It made it stop the noise at idle in gear. But it started coming back, so I plugged it back in before I went to work. I wasn't sure about driving 50 minutes on a hack repair.

Now it idles high, but fairly smooth. The tow driver said it sounded, and from the look of the oil (20 years old, what car doesn't have oil?) on it, that it could be a rod. But as he said, he's no mechanic.

It shouldn't idle smooth with a bad rod, should it? Wouldn't my mileage be poor, with basically a bad cylinder? I was getting over 26mpg. I had hoped this car would last till the MX-6 was repaired.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that make it not engage any gears though?

I went back out to the car, and it idled high in neutral, then dropped, then started loping up and down. So it's sounding like it's not just the transmission.

After all this, I think I just might write a book. This wagon is now my 8th car, and I'm 24. Either everyone is just nice, or they actually are amused by my car stories. Every time I saw this one girl at college, I'd have something new going wrong with my car to talk about. Then I saw her a few years later, and she asked about my car..."which, I've had 3 since I last saw you!" :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts