Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to search through the forums on here to see if this piggy back system work on our cars and no one had a real answer, they think i will not work.:confused: Since most of those threads were like 3-4yrs old :eek: i was wondering if anyone had news to if it works on our cars? has any installed it with good results? if that one doesn't work what about the ultimate?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lame.... so megasquirt is our only option i'm assuming? megasquirt is still cool though i was just checking out other options

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Mazda Carnage runs SDS 5th injector controller that works well. Is it fuel ir spark that you want to Piggyback ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mainly fuel for now but spark would be great to i suppose.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The problems with e-manage (blue) as far as I can tell are:

1. wont accept our VAF signal because it ranges from 0 - about 10V.
Whereas the e-manage input range is 0-5V like most interceptors.

2. Even if it did accept the OEM VAF signal, whatever changes made to change closed-loop running will be undone by the factory computer aiming for a set A/F ratio.
Well to a degree anyway, if the changes are large enough it would put the factory computer out of closed loop.
And W.O.T changes would still work which is what most people want to change anyway.
(Like, who cares about ecconomy anyway?)

So in short won't work, or to ellaborate, definitely won't work well.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

2. Even if it did accept the OEM VAF signal, whatever changes made to change closed-loop running will be undone by the factory computer aiming for a set A/F ratio.
Well to a degree anyway, if the changes are large enough it would put the factory computer out of closed loop.
And W.O.T changes would still work which is what most people want to change anyway.

disagree and agree. it will still work like you said, im just a fan of emanage thats why i havent try it. i just finish wiring safc to my car inplace of the gcc. they both uses 5v reff signal. when i was at the last dyno, altered atmosphere had a few car wired like that and they told me and share there idea. now i can adjust 50% lean 50% lean compare to the gcc 12% lean and 16% rich.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i just finish wiring safc to my car inplace of the gcc. they both uses 5v reff signal. when i was at the last dyno, altered atmosphere had a few car wired like that and they told me and share there idea. now i can adjust 50% lean 50% lean compare to the gcc 12% lean and 16% rich.
Please explain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah details would be nice.... so your saying the safc works on our cars?.... to a certain extent??

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
over $300 for the piggyback unit? I'd rather spend the dough on MS for full ECM :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i keep hearing from a couple previous users saying they're junk and the processors in them are too slow and a bunch of other bull... i'm totally confused on what to get cause one of the users told me he installed and showed me he installed the Greddy e-manage ultimate in his car....

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
91mxgt said:
i keep hearing from a couple previous users saying they're junk and the processors in them are too slow and a bunch of other bull... i'm totally confused on what to get cause one of the users told me he installed and showed me he installed the Greddy e-manage ultimate in his car....
yeah and probably with a map sensor and or a car that uses a 5V reference for whatever Bosch metering system it has installed, we are not that lucky. The IS a 1.6L B6 Miata guy in my city who installed an E-Manage in his car (which also uses the same voltage scale as us) but it involved a lot of driving time and a lot of data logging and a lot of dyno time before it was even close to being able to be daily driven without issue or fear or catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
454 Posts

if i am not mistaken the VAF works between 5-7v... the AFC works between 3~5v. At idle the VAF is at 5v and the volts go up to 7.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
over $300 for the piggyback unit? I'd rather spend the dough on MS for full ECM :)

sure but how many of all the thread i have seen in the last 8 month have gotten their ms working and driving none.
point is i bought the megasquirt through the bulk buy, paid over $600 from amd, suppose to be plug an play. and cant even get a tech support, i lost interest and buy a piggy back and can still get great mileage

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Good !, toss that piece of junk flapper and get a MAF off a ford or GM from a junkyard.
actually, the best MAF to get would be the Z32, but that's moot. When you get rid of your VAF, does the E-manage being discussed here control spark as well?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts