Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when im driving and im in neutral i can hear this grindign noise it happens for a sec every time the wheel turns, it goes away when im on the brakes, theres nothing on my discs that shows any signs of the brake pad being gone, i was just wondering if u guys could tell me what this is, if its a bearing or something wrong with the brakes, its in the front right side of the car. Thanks

Dom

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Maybe your rotors are messed up, feel if they are smooth, if there not, get them turned, its like 10 bucks...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do you hear this grinding sound when you turn? If so, a number of things ranging from a defective wheel bearing, engine mount grinding against the frame, worn cv joint, or something as simple as a loose wheel lug nut(s). Given these numerous possibilities, you'll have to isolate where the sound is coming from in order to discern what it actually is. Open the hood, have someone turn the steering wheel, and observe the linkage. My wild guess would be a defective wheel bearing, which typically makes a grinding sound at speeds under 40mph. But like I said, you'll have to do some detective work.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
worn brake pads. its the wear indicator. your at the point where it takes the shifting weight for the caliper or pad to slide slightly enough for the wear indicator to touch.

a bearing makes a growling noise and wouldnt go away upon braking.

let us know...

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey guy's just wondering if you had any idea's on this?
my brakes work fine maybe a little soft but when slowing down from high speed it's ok but if i go to put a bit of preasure on the brake pedal to halt the car suddenly they grind at the front only in this last instant when under load, what could it be???
Thanks

G

·
OK, its not the wear indicator because thats like a high pitched squeal that is really annoying and makes you want to change the brake pads.
(really just a warning that you dont have much brake pad left).
Turn the wheel slowly and make sure its not like a clunking sound (if you turn the wheel slower it will make seperate clunks in the linkage instead of steady grinding noise)
Does it make this noise when you turn and in any gear or just when you turn wheel in neutral, or both?
Does it go away above a certain speed?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Arantar said:
OK, its not the wear indicator because thats like a high pitched squeal that is really annoying and makes you want to change the brake pads.

ive never heard an indicator make a squeal... its a metal scraping noise, which several customers have described as grinding.

a squeal is quite a different sound and is usually happening while the brakes are applied and the vehicle is coming to a stop.

Turn the wheel slowly and make sure its not like a clunking sound
i think if it were a clunking sound, he would have put that in his original post.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theres only a sound when im driving whether im in gear or in neutral its there...i tried turning my wheels dont hear nothing, my lug nuts on the other hand might be loose cuz some stupid mechanic rotated my tires

thanks guys ill try that and tell u what happens

·
Registered
78 Posts
mine to it when the wheels are straight and in the instance mentioned above otherwise they seem to work ok, any thought???
THanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was a combination of things, loose lug nuts and bad bearings, and my rim was also bent a little, which u could notice at high speeds

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
definately time to make sure ppl start checdking the stupid stuff again before trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you turn your wheel and you hear a grinding sound thats your axle stems... there ****ed.. so you'll have to take it in and get all new CV Boots and axle stems.. and you might want to inspect your Rack and Pinon steering boot which is right next to it.
Oh yeah if you peel out alot... you can **** up the axles...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts