Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does a ground wire kit actually do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
as a cars wiring ages it can gain resistance through the wiring because of age or corrosion or whatever. Also some metal may have different ground resistances. A ground wire kit when done properly helps to equalize or reduce the difference between different ground points. Most beneficial when sensors rely on ground through the object they are attached to, it will help to equalize that ground.:ewink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then were would you mount it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
one larger wire to the battery which goes to a distribution block and then to various other pieces of metal. Such as throttle body, block, starter, basically anything that draws dc voltage or has a sensor threaded into it is a potential candidate.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't believe those kits work. Maybe if your running a huge audio system it will help your charging system. I don't buy the extra HP thing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats cool i just see them for so cheap and the extra Hp you are supposed to get just seemed to good to be true

·
Registered
800 Posts
steelersfan said:
Thats hella cool i just see them for so cheap and the extra Hp you are supposed to get just seemed to good to be true
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. :ewink: It can't hurt anything, however don't expect to see any difference, unless your grounds are fizzled already.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
go to the hardware store, by your self a 5ft roll of 6 gauge welder cable and some end ring terminals.. for about $8 and you can make your own grounding wires, Thats how cheap you could go.Btw this is the best since welder cable is not braided.

In all, this does nothing, there was a huge thread a year ago on it, it does nothing, except add alot of wires in your engine bay... leading to one thing, alot of wires to remove when you fix your car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I too had my doubts, but just installed one from Rob Sims a www.probetalk.com regular and vendor. His site is http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701176836http://www.groundz.com/ He custom makes them from 4 gauge wire to fit the Probe and MX6 with higher quality fittings than the ebay kits, which mostly use 8 gauge wire. Anyway, after installation, and no other changes, my idle speed increased about 200 RPM. I had to readjust it back to the correct speed. The car does feel more powerful when I stomp on the gas. And I do not have a monster stereo, only a 4 channel 130 watt amp and a 10 inch 130 watt Bazooka.

·
Registered
800 Posts
vickx3 said:
clutchless so youre sayin that a groud kit makes the car faster?
What he's saying is he had a bad ground problem before and installing the ground kit restored his car to it's original state.:muhaha:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think the above post is correct. This car is 12 years old. I am sure the old grounds had corrosion etc. Having said that, maybe the increased idle speed is an indication of improved mileage and possibly better throttle performance.

·
Registered
822 Posts
well i need to sort my grounds out soon as they all look pretty crappy. the exhaust one has even snapped. so i will get myself some wire and re do them. will take some readings before and after to see what difference it makes. dont hold your breathe for a result as i have to go into hospital next week and so proberly wont get to it till after xmas. But it will be a before and after so could be interesting!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do a volt drop test on your charging cicuit, starting circuit it is most likly you will find a problem there.

Here are some spec on volt drops:
connection 0.0v
switches 0.1v
cables 0.1v
Total current 1.0v, your allowed 0.5v on the insulated side and 0.5v on the uninsulated side.

Check your positive side and your ground side. You should have at least a 20 amp load on the cicuit when testing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts