Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...so my 6 runs excellent. got 178k and change, and runs excellent. i live in rhode island, which can get pretty cold in the winter. a few days ago, the first REALLY cold day of the year, i was driving to work*about 15-20 minute drive on the highway, normally around 75-80 mph) and the litle waterpump(?) light ame on in my dash. its the light thats in the tachometer area, just under it. its orange when lit. first off...this IS the waterpump light correct? and if so, what should i check out? it now does it everyday on my way to work and back, ad if im driving for 10 mins or more, and never when i first start my car, only when it reahes operating temp. so...PLEASE tell me whats goin on, as i love my car and dont want to keep driving it if im doin somethng bad.

·
Registered
141 Posts
lol, thats not the water pump light, thats the Check Engine light. Its a lil outline of an engine. There could be many many things causing that to come on.. I'd pull some codes...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well then...ive never seen the little bugger, so i didnt know what it was...figured waterpump or somethin...lol. anyway, my car is a 95...can i use the paperclip method to check the codes?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm having a very similar problem...on the highway, once at operating temperature...did you find out anything wrong?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
usually an operating temp CEL is an O2 sensor... sometimes a CTS. pull your codes and let us know.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Any noticeable differences in the car?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
dj3as said:
Can you do the paperclip jumper on a 96?
No. You need the appropriate OBDII scantool.
-Garrett

·
Registered
175 Posts
Paperclip works fine on a 93 tho, right?

-Ashley

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
yes...yes it does. OBDII cars should just be able to go to an autoparts store, and they should have the tool. They usually do it for free.

I did the same thing thefirst time my CEL came on, I couldn't tell what the light was, it really doesn't look like an engine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yeah...looked kinda like a...well...not much looks like that. Seen the light on my bud's 87 celebrity...which exploded...

-Ashley

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
it looks just like an engine. fan up front, air filter on top with a carb in between. you can even see the shape of the oil pan. it looks like a small block chevy with a holley 650 and a 30/30 cam.

...and roller rockers too... yeah

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have always seen this light in my 94 and never knew what it was. I willhave to run a search tolocate instructions for pulling the codes. Once i get the error code will someone tellme what they mean??

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Stage36 said:
it looks just like an engine. fan up front, air filter on top with a carb in between. you can even see the shape of the oil pan. it looks like a small block chevy with a holley 650 and a 30/30 cam.

...and roller rockers too... yeah
:)

I suppose they thought that would be more recognizable than say, a light that simply said Check Engine.

I used to think perhaps they wanted to forgo the cost of switching the "Check Engine" into different languages, but this does not make much sense since supposedly the foreign versions didn't include the light at all.

Silly stuff. Many many people have come on here wondering what that light was, never realizing it was a "Check Engine" light.
-Garrett

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah well... mayn many ppl should read their owners manual... some of you are worse than Porsche owners...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts