Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have four wheel discs and have you noticed that the brakes on our cars are wierd? I was trying to figure out whats wrong because it seems my moms geo prizm can stop better. I went out tonight and found that i could push the pedal to the floor and not lock the tires when the pads are cold. And the brakes dont need to be bled. The second time i tried this, I locked the tires with the pedal pressed only halfway. Aparently the pads work a lot better when warmed up. It still doesnt seem that im stopping super fast though. Have you found any pads that work well at low and high temps? I have no idea what pads are in my car currently. Have you heard anything about a proportioning valve? Im wondering if the rears are not doing thier part.

Ive heard our brakes are wierd, so im assuming i dont have a prob with the master cylander or anything. I need new pads, and i dont know which ones to buy. My current options are Bendix semi-metalics, Napa United organics, or Raybestos semi-metalics, but im not limited to these only. BTW are the OEM's on the GT's semi-metalic or organic, because ive heard both. I really just want pads that stop very well at low temps and can also handle some heat. I heard organics work very well for this, although they wear out fast, which is no problem. I would rather change pads three times as often and feel like i can stop safetly.

Any info about pads you have tried that either worked well or not so well would be helpful. Thanks in advance!:confused:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sounds like you either have air getting caught in your brake lines or your brake fluid is really old. What color is it in the reservoir? Black? Not a good idea to fool around when it comes to brakes. Just had all my brake fluid flushed and replaced. I would have your brake lines checked and you may want to replace the fluid. New brake fluid will be kind of clear with a amber color sort like beer. But don't drink it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not that. The brakes have been bled twice with Valvoline fluid. There is no air in the system and the fluid is practically new. I apreciate the suggestion though.

What pads are you using and how do you like them?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I haven't had to deal with replacing brakes yet thank god. I have disks on all four corners and she brakes solid and predictable every time. I imagine whatever is on there is just OEM.

I have a hard time believing that just the brake pads would be the cause of problems like that. But I suppose it's possible. I'm pretty sure that anti-lock was an option on our cars. I don't have it on mine but that could be another thing to check if you have it. Maybe it's malfunctioning. Sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I've had better luck with the OEM pads than any others. Whatever you do don't touch the cheapo Autozone/Pepboys type brands. If you wanna know if your pads are OEM, look at them. They should be blue.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
OEM pads are made by Mitsubishi. I have just taken these off my car and put KVR carbon fiber pads on. I have also put on new brembo slotted rotors along with stainless steel break lines. Will let you know how it works out compared to the stock setup.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well I had the KVR pads on my old mx6. They do require a warmup for them to work effectively, but holy shit do they work well once you get them nice and hot.

I've heard good things about EBC green stuff pads, which are supposed to work very well when cold and hot.

I'm currently using Bendix Import Quiet pads which I'm quite happy with. Decent bite when cold, and impressive fade resistance for an OEM pad. They too require a slight warm up time. Still for $30 they cant be beat. The only complaint is that they're dusty as all hell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i bought the Bendix regular semi-metalic pads and installed them. They dont seem to work any better yet though. Do they require a break in or should i consiter returning them before I use them too much?

I heard the EBC green pads were Kevlar, which makes me steer clear because kevlar requires a lot of heat to work well. Im thinking of getting OEM pads to see what they feel like, my old pads were not OEM and fell off the backing when I removed them! Either that or some Organic pads. Does anyone know where i can get a decent brand of organic pads? The only place i found them is Napa, and I'm leary of their brands.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
first off. ANY brake pad needs to "bed in" for 250- 500 miles before they will work properly. Sometimes the braking can be almost dangerous until the break in period is over. Make sure you drive the car gently in the meantime otherwise you'll glaze the pads.

Now the EBC's are well known for having good cold performance, maybe they mean good cold performance for a "high performance brake pad", but I suggest you call them and find out..

Also, about semi-metallic and organic. Organic pads theoretically should have a better cold bite and last longer, but they have horrible fade resistance and are more suited on non peformance light vehicles like economy cars. Trucks and performance cars should never get organics. Semi-metallics require a slightly longer warm up time, but will be more fade resistant. They dont last as long as organics due to their higher coefficient of friction.

So give the Bendix pads a try. I've had them for a year on my 626. I had them on my old mx-6, and when Kennymx6 bought it, he replaced them with the same thing. Great pads for da money G.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts