Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would let everyone know something that I found out.. I am in the process of rebuilding a 1988 Mazda MX-6 LX that had the unfortunate fate of meeting a Jeep Grand Cherokee at an intersection. Mazda 1 Jeep 0... Mazda drove away and Jeep was towed. LOL Well back to my discovery, after calling local scrap and junkyards for headlamps and all of them telling me that a GT headlamp would not work on a LX.. So I went out to a self-service yard here by me and found a 1990 GT model that was in the stages of being scavanged... It had two perfect headlamps, I compared them with mine on the LX and they are identical, only difference is the the inner light on the LX is a drving light or running light (one that is not very bright, and the GT has a fog lamp style light there (a much brighter light).. Well anyway, the plug-in connectors are compatiable with the LX model, now I tried them out and when I turn my headlights on I have the bright fog lamp of a GT on a LX... Just letting others know that when Joe-Schmoo at the parts yard tells ya that they do not work, tell him ok and get them anyway... LOL

·
Registered
235 Posts
This sounds kind of funny I was under the impression that all headlights were the same execpt for the Aus. models which only had two bulbs in the head lights opposed to the three that we ( or at least me with my LX) have. I'd really be interested in seeing these so can you post a pic? if it's anything diff than what I have I might be intersted in getting a piar.

Pyro
89 LX

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the process of getting the pics ready to display.. Also Rendell, the scarp yard that I got the lights from charged me a meager $26.00 for one, so $52.00 total plus tax of course... If you have an LX MX-6 and you take the inner bulb out you will have the whole assembly with you, on a GT headlamp the assembly stays in side with a metal reataing clip and you remove the clip and insert the new bulb that way.. I will put that pic up asap... Had to download a new FTP client to do it.. Other one packed up and left town.. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Maybe the headlights themselves are the same, and only the bulb-sockets are different?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anarchy, that is what it is, plus the inside portion of the GT headlamp has a different reflector.. Since you own one, you will see what I am talking about.. And your right about the bulb being different.. Headlamp housing is the same, just that bulb and inner portion is different.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Actually the 626 dosent have the factory fogs. They cheaped out on a lot of shit on the 626 :). No AAS, fog lights, no electronic climate controls. Oh well, it's still nice :). so I guess I would be better off getting the headlights as well as the sockets.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anarchy, just get the headlamp, coz if it has the light in it already like mine did all I had to do was take the little blue connector off the old on and plug it into the new one.. Very simple...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I know a guy with AAS on his 626 and it came that way. In fact, I'm about to buy it to use as a parts car, so if you need some spare body panels or doors or something I could hook you up.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Acutally they did have AAS in '88 and '89 but due to slow sales, they dropped AAS to bring the price down a little in '90. BTW. Thanks for the offer about the body panels and stuff. I dont neeed any now but if I do I'll keep you in mind. What color is the parts car BTW?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics of the headlights...

Sorry it took me so long to get these for ya... The first 2 pics I believe are the old headlamp, hence since they are trashed.. LOL Notice the large hole opening in the back and front. And the second set is of the new headlamps off the 1990 GT model.. :eek:) See the reataing clip and the smaller bulb. Also look at how the bulb rests in the light.. Also look at the blue connector, this here matches with any MX-6 be it a LX, DX or a GT. Hope this shows it a little better.
First set:
http://www.novagate.com/~pstlnc/MazdaMX-6006.jpg
http://www.novagate.com/~pstlnc/MazdaMX-6007.jpg
Second set:

http://www.novagate.com/~pstlnc/MazdaMX-6008.jpg
http://www.novagate.com/~pstlnc/MazdaMX-6009.jpg

Hope this shows it a little better... And if your wondering what I took the pics with it is a HP Photosmart 618 Digital Camera.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts