Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert my LX to have rear discs bc I am installing coil overs and am gonna have it all apart anyway, and it appears I can get everything but the rear hubs. Nobody has them in stock. I very highly doubt this but are the hubs that the drums mount to the same as the ones on the disc brakes? I have never taken the drums apart so I really don't know how they work. Another question, newer cars have the parking brake inside the rotor with shoes like mini drum brakes, but I have seen other cars just use the rear brake calipers as a parking brake. Which is the MX? Might be a dumb question but any help would be great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I converted my LX to rear disc brakes. I went to the pick a part and pulled parts off a ford probe. The parking brake uses the caliper, not separate drum brakes. So when you want to retract the piston in the caliper it must be turned at the same time, you just cant pust back in.

You also need the parking brake cables, from the calipers up to the center of the car. They attach there so you can reuse the cable from the parking brake pull lever. No need to remove any parts on the inside of the car. Also need the brake hoses that attach to the calipers.

As far as hubs go. I think you are referring to the disc itself. Its not like the front where the disc just slides onto the hub and wheel studs. The rear the wheel bearing and studs are part of the disc. It goes right onto the spindle. From what I have heard the spindle is the same. But I cannot confirm that. When I went to pull the probe brakes I could not separate them. So just took the whole assembly. It made for an easy installation. It was half price day so I got a good deal.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I want to convert my LX to have rear discs bc I am installing coil overs and am gonna have it all apart anyway, and it appears I can get everything but the rear hubs. Nobody has them in stock. I very highly doubt this but are the hubs that the drums mount to the same as the ones on the disc brakes? I have never taken the drums apart so I really don't know how they work. Another question, newer cars have the parking brake inside the rotor with shoes like mini drum brakes, but I have seen other cars just use the rear brake calipers as a parking brake. Which is the MX? Might be a dumb question but any help would be great.
find a GT and the can remove the whole rear craddle with hub brakes etc in one piece, only 4 bolt holding it to the frame, and just unhook parking brake cable and brake line
This is what i did to my lx. less than 1 hour, i was done

1 - 3 of 3 Posts