Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,447 Posts
velcro is probably your best bet for holding the covers on once you remove the clips, the covers have a tendency to come away from the light in the sidemarker area, but yeah velcro is the most used option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
hey i actually have those covers for my halos, and velco is the best. But those covers are made for our stock ones, and the covers have like a plastic clip, you have to cut a lil piece off where our hood support rod is, it hits it and if u slam the hood down, it pinches and will break. Happened to me when i brought it to mazda for a check up, and they broke it without paying for it, "cuz we cant be sure we did it" goodluck :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: SupaDupa6

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
HOW TO: Mold and fasten GTS covers to Angel eyes



Dremel the Top clips off, preheat the oven to 300 degrees

put the cover in the oven until nice and pliable. DONT PUT THE SMOOTH SURFACE ON YOUR RACK, or your lens will get grilled. RUN out to the car and push the still hot and soft GTS cover on the angel eye, put equal pressure on the whole part and make sure you keep it straight.

DONT directly push on the lens or it will dent. Wait for it to get cool enough to retain its shape, let it cool...

Velcro, or do it the better way. Drill holes on the GTS covers AND thru the angel eye. (right where the clips where, and put those "automotive fasteners" thru it. you wont see the fastener, and now oyu have a sturdy spike holding it together instead of just some taped on velro (No offense to those Velcro users). Then right on the outer corner past the blinker i drilled another hole. And Black fastener on it ( you can barely see it since the black angel housing)

This actually attaches the molded GTS to your angel eyes and wont have to worry about coming off. To clean the covers you just pop out the automotive fasteners and pull the cover off. Voila
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,447 Posts
grangalan said:
HOW TO: Mold and fasten GTS covers to Angel eyes



Dremel the Top clips off, preheat the oven to 300 degrees

put the cover in the oven until nice and pliable. DONT PUT THE SMOOTH SURFACE ON YOUR RACK, or your lens will get grilled. RUN out to the car and push the still hot and soft GTS cover on the angel eye, put equal pressure on the whole part and make sure you keep it straight.

DONT directly push on the lens or it will dent. Wait for it to get cool enough to retain its shape, let it cool...

Velcro, or do it the better way. Drill holes on the GTS covers AND thru the angel eye. (right where the clips where, and put those "automotive fasteners" thru it. you wont see the fastener, and now oyu have a sturdy spike holding it together instead of just some taped on velro (No offense to those Velcro users). Then right on the outer corner past the blinker i drilled another hole. And Black fastener on it ( you can barely see it since the black angel housing)

This actually attaches the molded GTS to your angel eyes and wont have to worry about coming off. To clean the covers you just pop out the automotive fasteners and pull the cover off. Voila
wow never thought about baking the cover to get it to fit better, if i had GTS covers, or even angel eyes for that matter, i'd use that method, the auto fasteners seem like a good idea as wel although velcro wil do the job. karma for grangalan fo sho.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
grangalan said:
HOW TO: Mold and fasten GTS covers to Angel eyes



Dremel the Top clips off, preheat the oven to 300 degrees

put the cover in the oven until nice and pliable. DONT PUT THE SMOOTH SURFACE ON YOUR RACK, or your lens will get grilled. RUN out to the car and push the still hot and soft GTS cover on the angel eye, put equal pressure on the whole part and make sure you keep it straight.

DONT directly push on the lens or it will dent. Wait for it to get cool enough to retain its shape, let it cool...

Velcro, or do it the better way. Drill holes on the GTS covers AND thru the angel eye. (right where the clips where, and put those "automotive fasteners" thru it. you wont see the fastener, and now oyu have a sturdy spike holding it together instead of just some taped on velro (No offense to those Velcro users). Then right on the outer corner past the blinker i drilled another hole. And Black fastener on it ( you can barely see it since the black angel housing)

This actually attaches the molded GTS to your angel eyes and wont have to worry about coming off. To clean the covers you just pop out the automotive fasteners and pull the cover off. Voila
definatly looks really clean.... execpt for the grill marks on my lense....lol...
its ok though, still looks good (i bought got mine from grangalan).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
grangalan said:
Drill holes on the GTS covers AND thru the angel eye. (right where the clips where, and put those "automotive fasteners" thru it. you wont see the fastener, and now oyu have a sturdy spike holding it together instead of just some taped on velro (No offense to those Velcro users). Then right on the outer corner past the blinker i drilled another hole. And Black fastener on it ( you can barely see it since the black angel housing)
Just curious, have you had yours installed this way long enough to know whether your headlights are going to take on water, or at least fog up inside? Drilling two holes in the lens... In my experience, the smallest little crack in the lens will make the light fog up and hardly ever dry out inside.

Thanks for the info!
James
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
mosheen said:
Just curious, have you had yours installed this way long enough to know whether your headlights are going to take on water, or at least fog up inside? Drilling two holes in the lens... In my experience, the smallest little crack in the lens will make the light fog up and hardly ever dry out inside.

Thanks for the info!
James
hes talking about doing it on the angel eyes not on the stock lense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
No offense intended to those who have them, but from what I have seen they look really cheap and crappy. A lack of other options for the MX-6, I guess is why they are so expensive (relative to what they add to the car)

Just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Also keep in mind if you do go the oven method, that you probably wont be able to take them off. What if you dont get the perfect mold to seal the entire housing? With the velcro you can take them off and clean them from both sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,447 Posts
hatebreed420 said:
Also keep in mind if you do go the oven method, that you probably wont be able to take them off. What if you dont get the perfect mold to seal the entire housing? With the velcro you can take them off and clean them from both sides.
you'll still be able to remove them, the heating just softens them so they take on the SHAPE of the light, they don't actually bond to the light, then the auto fasteners he's talking about are just simply push type pieces that you can easily remove to get the cover off and clean, or at least that's how i took it, grangalan you gotta get on here and clear it all up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
they WONT keep water out completely, but it definitely looks REAL damn nice with the GTS covers molded. a HELL of a lot nicer than with the angel eyes exposed. You COULD seal them with silicone but i'd rather be able to take them off and just wipe them since the bulbs are in pods which are water tight.

i dont see how its expensive, angel eyes cost less than 100, i paid 80 for mine. GTS covers were like 39. Molding took me 15 minutes each light, its safe just dont turn the oven to 600 deg and keep em in there, just enough til the plastic is pliable.

As far as functionality. Well the AA's look a lot nicer and also it keeps rocks from flying up into the pod and cracking the glass lens. which seems to happen often from what everyone hears on the boards heh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
i just installed the gts covers on mine (i have angel eyes) and it looks way better, my headlights actually look like headlights now. I didnt bake mine, mine fit perfectly, i have velcro on the sides now but im gonna do the drill method because the velcro is like 3/16 so the gts cover sticks out and looks kinda funky. i didnt cut off the tabs on the covers, i just gently push down on my hood till it locks and the covers dont move at all, they are pinned in, i just use the velcro to keep the side in.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top