Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on making this thread a closed sticky eventually but I wanted to open it up to everyone who has input, ideas, or better/different pictures than I do. The whole idea behind this thread is to make a guide with pictures of the different STOCK/FACTORY OPTION parts available for the Mx6 in different countries.

I took some of the ideas from This thread, corrected them, and added pictures to suit my needs. I know that this is going to be a LOT of work but I think that it will help the community a lot and make our forums better.

IF YOU HAVE BETTER PICTURES OR IDEAS, PLEASE POST THEM HERE AND I WILL EDIT THE THREAD TO INCORPORATE EVERYTHING BEFORE MAKING IT A STICKY AND CLOSING IT. If you add pictures that I feel better illustrate the part(s) in question, I will copy it to my Photobucket and link it from there so that, as long as my Photobucket exists, the images in the thread will work. I REALLY don't want to duplicate pictures in this thread so I will need help.

Let's get started! :jump:

ALSO, PLEASE KEEP UNRELATED COMMENTS TO A MINIMUM OR TAKE THEM TO PM'S. I will be deleting unnecessary posts to keep the clutter down. :tup:

ASPEC- Models available in North America, LHD

OBD1 from 1993-1995, OBD2 from 1996-1997 (some late model 1995 models may be OBD2), Only driver's side air bag in 1993, Dual air bags from 1994-1997

JSPEC- Models available in Japan and Australia, RHD

OBD1 from 1992-1995, OBD2 from 1996-1997 (some late model 1995 models may be OBD2), 4WS Optional, Only driver's side air bag in 1993, Dual air bags from 1994-1997

ESPEC- Models available in Europe, RHD or LHD (depending on location)

OBD1 from 1992-1995, OBD2 from 1996-1997 (some late model 1995 models may be OBD2), 4WS Optional, Only driver's side air bag in 1993, Dual air bags from 1994-1997

EXTERIOR

Headlights
ASPEC- 2 Piece NON-Projector, plastic lens

JSPEC- 1 Piece Projector, plastic lens

ESPEC- 2 Piece Projector with electric height adjustment, glass lens, and city light

The city light is blue in this picture

Fog lights
ASPEC- Single Bulb Lamp with plastic lens

JSPEC- 2 Bulbs - 1 Fog Lamp and 1 Turn Signal Indicator with plastic lens

ESPEC- Single Bulb GLASS Lamp With Chrome Surround some come with yellow insert

Front Bumpers
ASPEC- Amber Side Markers are installed on bumper

JSPEC- No Side Markers, slightly different shape than ASPEC

ESPEC- No Side Markers, slightly different shape than ASPEC

Fenders
ASPEC- No Side Markers

JSPEC- Amber Side Markers are Stock

ESPEC- Amber Side Markers are Stock (??)

Mud flaps
ASPEC, ESPEC, and JSPEC-
1993-94: bigger style, body color, rear flaps optional

1995-97: front wheels only, smaller style, black plastic

Sideview Mirrors
ASPEC- Non-Folding mirrors, some are heated, some are blue tinted

JSPEC- Power Folding Mirrors, some with blue tint

Folding mirror button in OEM position (There were two locations depending on the model and year of the car)

ESPEC- Manual Folding Mirrors, some with blue tint

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tail Lights
ASPEC- Amber turn signal indicator.

M-Edition's Offer All Red Tails with Clear reverse light indicators on both sides

JSPEC- Has slightly larger turn signal indicators with clear reverse light indicators on both sides

ESPEC- Has slightly larger turn signal indicators. On the RHD cars the right taillight have a red fog light in place of the reverse light and on LHD the left taillight have a red fog light in place of the reverse light

Rear Bumpers
ASPEC- Red Side Markers are installed on bumper

JSPEC- No Side Markers

ESPEC- No Side Markers - longer space for license plates

Wheels: ASPEC, ESPEC, and JSPEC(??)

Stock 2G Mx6 wheels have a 5x114 bolt pattern with an offset of 42 and a hub diameter of 67.1mm

15" Wheels- 93-94: "flower" design

95-97: 5 spoke design

1996 M-edition Gold wheels (ASPEC only)

OPTIONAL BODY PARTS

Mazdaspeed parts (JSPEC only)

Interesting note: since Mazdaspeed items were a hot copy item in the 90's, if all it has is a sticker, it's likely a taiwanese or chinese copy. There's a small chance MS removed the FG stamping in later years/runs of certain items but this is unconfirmed. Mazdaspeed sides, lip, wing, rims, exhaust, etc. should all have hard stamping. On the body parts, this would be a raised lettering emboss. The wing had a reverse emboss. The rims have it stamped on the inside lip, with a reverse emboss on the hub side of the rim as well. The exhaust has it etched.

Here's a shot of the products available.

Also note: The rear pieces shown in the pictures of the silver car are NOT Mazdaspeed pieces. The kit only offered a front lip, side skirts, and a spoiler.

Mazdaspeed front lip

Mazdaspeed side skirts

Mazdaspeed spoiler

Mazdaspeed reflector

Mazdaspeed wheels

Mazdaspeed muffler (??)
Mazdaspeed airbox (??)
there was a mazdaspeed airbox available... but i've never seen anyone here with it...

it was an inline filter sort of like that, with a slightly different looking inlet up front. It ran full width of the hood, and required cutting of the half rubber section on the hood (to a full length section cut out) - there was also no box, nor resonator. I've seen exactly one picture of this years ago and actually think it's a great design. There were no pics of stampings or anything like that so i can't speak about that.

LSi Appearance Package (JSPEC only)

LSi front lip

LSi side pieces

Trunk Lip Spoiler (ASPEC option only)

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MOTOR/TRANSMISSION OPTIONS

ENGINE V6
ASPEC- 2.5 liter KLDE/03: 164hp from 1993-1995 and 1997 or 160hp in 1996
JSPEC- 2.5 liter KLZE: 198hp or 2.0 liter KFZE 163hp
ESPEC- 2.5 liter KLDE/03: 164hp from 1993-1995 and 1997 or 160hp in 1996

TRANSMISSION V6
ASPEC- G-series 5 speed manual or automatic 4 speed
JSPEC- G-series 5 speed transmission or automatic 4 speed w/ optional limited slip differential (??)
ESPEC- G-series 5 speed manual or automatic 4 speed

ENGINE I4 2.0
ASPEC-FSDE 118hp
JSPEC- Not available
ESPEC-FSDE 118hp

TRANS I4 2.0
ASPEC- Same name G25M-R (G5M-R) .. 1st and 2nd ratios the same as V6. 3,4,5th different, as is Final gear ratio.
JSPEC- Same name G25M-R (G5M-R) .. 1st and 2nd ratios the same as V6. 3,4,5th different, as is Final gear ratio.
ESPEC- Same name G25M-R (G5M-R) .. 1st and 2nd ratios the same as V6. 3,4,5th different, as is Final gear ratio.

SEATS
ASPEC-
Leather (Black or Tan) 2 styles available

Cloth (Grey or Tan)

M-Edition has "M-Edition" stiched into Tan Leather

JSPEC- Available with a cloth version of the ASPEC leather seats.

ESPEC-
Leather (Black, Tan): Available on pre-1997 cars.
Late model 1997 Espec cars came with the a standard dark gray leather interior with silver accents that was not available in other countries.

Cloth version of ASPEC leather seats (available in some countries but not others and availability may have changed from year to year)

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
STEERING WHEEL
ASPEC-1993-1997 all had the same style 3-spoke wheel with air bag

JSPEC and ESPEC-
The 1992 year available in Europe and Japan had the old style emblem on a 3 spoke wheel with no air bag.

1993-1997 had a 4-spoke wheel with air bag

DOOR SILLS
ASPEC- Stock Plastic Sills, M-Edition Offer SS Steel Sills
JSPEC- Stock Plastic, SS Sills were a dealer option
ESPEC- Stock Plastic, SS Sills were a dealer option

CUP HOLDER
ASPEC- Cup Holder
JSPEC- Ash Tray

ESPEC-
Blanking Plate with Headlight Height Adj Switch and Dash lights Dimmer Switch.

LHD Espec had a continuous dash with no cup holder slot at all.

HAZARD SWITCHES
ASPEC- 1993-1994- Red Switch (??) 1995-1997- Black switch (??)
JSPEC- Red Switch (??)
ESPEC- Red Switch

REARVIEW MIRROR
ASPEC- Attached to the windshield
JSPEC- ??
ESPEC- Attached to the headliner

SOUND SYSTEM
ASPEC- Tape deck standard, CD player optional, optional sub woofer
JSPEC- Optional Bose dynamic sound system w/ CD player
Bose Head unit

Bose dynamic sound system

ESPEC- Tape deck standard, CD player optional, optional sub woofer (??)

CLIMATE CONTROL
ASPEC- AC standard on LS, I4 option?? Climate control unit has manual slider control knobs
JSPEC- AC standard?? Automatic digital climate control unit optional

ESPEC- AC standard on LS, I4 option?? Climate control unit has manual slider control knobs

CENTER CONSOLE
ASPEC-
JSPEC- Optional Larger center console with cup holders
ESPEC-

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi Chris,

Already sent you a PM.....:)

With regards the last model year 1997 UK spec MX 6.

The info is not quite correct.

Here are the exact details from the 1997 UK Brochure.

Standard Upholstery

Mid grey leather seat facings and mid grey leather door trims

So there was no cloth option.

PS. You can always delete this post and just alter the information

ESPEC-
Leather (Black, Tan, or Gray)
Late model 1997 Espec cars came with the option of a dark gray leather interior with silver accents.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Oh yes, I did not realise that "A" spec MX6's and the "M" edition had a rear spoiler brakelight as standard or were the fotos of the cars on here fitted with them afterwards.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Paula, I edited some of the info. I know that I have seen espec cars with all the different types of seating I posted in the thread. I think the options just changed depending on the model year and the country of sale.

The m-edition (1996) always had a spoiler w/ third brake light. The aspec mx6 had the option of the spoiler w/ third brake light until 1997, when it became standard on LS models.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi again Chris,

Forgot to mention that late 1996 and 1997 UK spec MX 6's had 16" 7JJ Speedline wheels fitted as standard.

Here are fotos:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the info.

Here in the UK from 1992 to 1997, we never had the rear spoiler with third brake light fitted as standard or as an option.

Mean lot Mazda !!! :(

I have just bought one from a UK member who is breaking a 'J ' spec.

So that will be nice.

Take care

Paula

Hi Paula, I edited some of the info. I know that I have seen espec cars with all the different types of seating I posted in the thread. I think the options just changed depending on the model year and the country of sale.

The m-edition (1996) always had a spoiler w/ third brake light. The aspec mx6 had the option of the spoiler w/ third brake light until 1997, when it became standard on LS models.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hey I will post a pic up a little later but I have a different, obviously factory, steering wheel.

it is almos the same as the wheel in the picture directly above the line "LHD Espec had a continuous dash with no cup holder slot at all." except it has a red horn button in the right hand spoke of the wheel. It has never worked though...

other notes - Australia didnt get the Jspec (we wish). It looks like a variation on the Espec - nearly the same. A lot of Aussie cars have the Jspec cloth and no headlight leveling switch.
Another point about AusSpec?? (lol) standard tail lights are jspec tails (cant see a difference)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Good morning Chris,

Here are the close-up fotos that I took of my Speedlines yesterday.

Nearside rear wheel

Nearside rear wheel (close-up)

Offside front wheel

Offside front wheel (close-up)

The centres ( from a Mazda MX 5 ) are not the original ones which had the word MAZDA written on them but also below is a foto of an O/E centre with Speedlines. The word Mazda is mostly worn off though.

Take care

Paula

Hi again Chris,

In the morning, I will take close-ups of the Speedline wheels and post them on here too.

Nite

Paula

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
all mx6's 93-97 had the black hazard switch, only the e-specs and j-specs had the all red ones.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a close up picture of the speedline wheels with the original mazda centres:

also in 1997 (and I imagine 1996 too) the espec had touch button heater controls (as opposed to the type that click in and out)
The E-spec bumper seems to be a j-spec with a plastic reg holder attached on top (I've taken mine off and gotten a square number plate)

Robert

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Throughout Europe & Asia The ability to Opt for a smaller engine size while still keeping the higher ("GT"For say) Trim level, which is something the Imports have been doing for generations. Given the precise production release country and region of course. It seems as if the Mx-6 came with a lot of standard features & was well equipped for its price and time. A headlight levelling system 4WDS, Digital climate Control , A sports tuned Exhaust, premium sound system and body styling that still turns heads in today competitive auto industry. To pin-point all the similarities and differences surrounding USDM CDM JDM EDM already an enormous amount of information comes to mind. Not only Appreance and estetics but Functionality and Design. 92-97 MX-6's were not that complicated of a years of car lol so we think! For example simply inspect the USDM or CDM bumper "as i call it"you won’t be surprised to find a ridiculous amount of plastic supporting it. On the other hand to my knowledge the imported bumper like the one in my car is lacking the safety of that. Again the next time you take a turn be aware of the turn signal timing, in actuality this is not the same as the import like I have in my car as well. The Diamond emblem steering wheel also feels smaller to the touch but visibly looks the same. The buttons for cruise controll feel of superior quality than to those of USDM & CDM. I plan on swapping it out for the OEM CDM Wheel for safty reasons These are just a few i had time to loginto the fourm.:tup:

USDN/CDM Bumper Support "SAFETY" that imported models dont apear to Have

JDM Adaptive foglights That swivel when steering wheel is turned

~kp

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome thread with lots of good information, good work mate. One thing to add, I believe there is also a significant variation in sunroof options available in the different markets. In the 1995 GE2 (E-Spec, Australia) which I own, it came with an electric glass sunroof. However, the upholstery place I took it to get the headliner redone was adamant that it was an after market option. I have seen many post 1995 cars on the road (as told by the different alloy wheel design) with the glass sunroof, and it seems that the majority of pre 1995 cars were equipped with the metallic, body colour matched sunroof. I am sure this isn't a life or death matter, but I thought I could add to the bank of information ChefSpot (Chris?) has compiled here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts