Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best approach to gutting out the catalytic converter? Im about to do this as soon as the weather gets better.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've seen it done by taking it off, usind a long handled pry bar, screw driver, even a socket extension. Stick the "prying tool" in one side and use a hammer to break the pieces loose.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The best way is not to gut one. I would not gut one as the flow is so distrubed by what is left it is almost if not worse than what you had before. Ebays sells test pipes for about 20 bucks. Get one of these to use and you will still have your cat intact for inspections.

·
Registered
897 Posts
not everyone has inspections to deal with.

In Florida you can buy a car, title it, get insurance, and drive it every year without it ever being inspected.

·
Registered
737 Posts
In Michigan we don't have inspection either, but if you have you car worked on by a shop, they are supposed to be required by law to report you. So keeping the catylitic there, at least for looks, will keep you safe. And that's what's best for some, I have no cat no shell, but I do ALL my own work, some can't so it's a good idea to just gut the cat.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I had a testpipe but the bolts fell out and it started to leak........

I bought a resonator off ebay and got that installed where the cat was. Sounds a whole lot better but now my shiftlinkages hit the resonator. Well right now Im running open turbo, my downpipe broke.

Since you have a NA, Id say dont take the cat out/or gut it. It will be damn loud. My car was pretty buzzy and mines a GT

For some odd reason with my downpipe broken its got no buzz at all. It actually sounds better but its pretty loud. All I care about is I can hear the turbo spooling without boosting. :D

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
hey ricer nice to see you back. you still got the '6 huh?

I used a picklefork and a hammer. However I suggest going with a testpipe though. I wish I didnt ruin my perfect cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts