Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use black shoe polish, the solid stuff in a tin can, not a squeeze bottle. That and an old rag. You may need more than one can (I needed three of them, because I got ALL my faded stuff) It works, everyone can FINALLY sleep at night that they'll have trim as dark as the day it left the factory! (warning: it's real easy to get it on your paint finish, so if you're not careful, masking tape might be a good idea)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 6 months

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
:confused:

That is an incredible idea! I think you are the smartest man alive! :freak: Heetseeker, how long have you been doing this? It doesn't cake or crack in the sun or run all over your car when it rains and your doin' say 90mph?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, a while ago i got my car repainted, and the guy I took my car to wasn't able to do anything about the trim. He said if he painted it, it wouldn't look natural. I've tried every silicone product in AutoZone, and it still wouldn't cut it, and one day, I started thinking, I needed a product with a black color, and was thick enough to hold itself to the plastic trim. The next day, my dad was shining a pair of his shoes using that kind of shoe polish, and I made the connection in my head. Then, I went to K-mart, dropped a 5-spot on a few cans, and went to town. I figured, for being less than half the price of anything you can get to gloss it up from an auto parts store, it couldn't hurt to try it out. Well...it worked. Beautifully, I might add. I think it has something to do with the fact it's adding pigment back into the plastic since it's spent the last 10 years or more fading under the hot sun. Damn, I am a genius *thank you all* the only thanks that I need is for you to tell ALL the mx6ers you know about this. Next thing you know, they'll be selling shoe polish in AutoZone for ten times the price! lol

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Ok, screw the whole faded trim gloss idea, just spray paint the trim with some semi-flat black spray paint...i just taped up my entire car and painted the panels with a few coats and it looks so much more solid and lasts longer than using a glossy shiner...or even buy a can of matching factory color paint and spray it yourself :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, paint is a bit more permanent and its easy to mess up, especially if you're not really careful...you should have tried my idea, its permanent enough (i said 6 months, if you're really picky about the way your trim looks, but my ONE application from 11/99 is still looking good) ... basically, if your trim isn't falling apart from having been so dried out, shoepolish works very nicely. Paint just seems to me a bit more extreme...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Have you ever brushed up against it and gotten black shoe polish on your khaki pants? That is something I would be worried about. Would black shoe polish come out in the wash? I imagine it would. The brown stuff that comes with Doc Martin's seems to come out OK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matter of fact, i saw the leftover shoe polish i had in my garage and touched it up a matter of minutes ago. (bear in mind...its only started to fade a LITTLE since november 1999, when i had my car repainted) But no, for the most part it won't do anything like that, especially if you buff it all again after you're done. Its water insoluable (its wax and dye) so it doesn't come off too easily in the car wash for those of you who use the coin-ops. If you're worried, I'd be careful about rubbing against it for the first few days, thats all. I haven't had any trouble at all.

In my mind, the trim should look like a matte photograph, with an "orange-peel" texture but still shiny in the light, and man oh man this does it.

Unlike a lot of other car wax products, I think this is actually better applied in the hot sun, because your trim is going to be warmer and it will heat the waxes in the polish up so they will work in nicer to your trim. Once you've given it the once-over, its really not a bad idea to go over it again with a clean rag (preferrably cloth to paper towels, but if its all you have, go for it) to make sure you haven't missed taking off any big globs of it, because then it will stain your khakis, no matter what.

Hope I've cleared some things up...

-Matt, the shoe polish guru

1 - 10 of 10 Posts