Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. This is GOING to be a strange question and Please dont ask WHY im going to do this unless it is necessary in order to answer the question.

The question is

If i set up a turbo but only do it half way, meaning, The turbo is hooked up to the exhaust so it is receiving its power to spool up, but instead of any piping or inter cooler or anything
the power and compressed air of the turbo is just shot out of the other end of the turbo.(meaning the air never actually goes into the engine, all the compressed air is just shot out...into no where .it goes no where but thin air.)

if you look at this simple pic , you might get what im trying to explain
http://www.btnturbo.com/images/pic_turboworks2.jpg

so the left side of the picture is all hooked up
but on the right side, where the blue air is coming out of the turbo (compressed air going into cylinder)
just imagine that there is no piping there...no inter cooler, just the bare turbo. So no air actually reaches the engine, it just gets shot out..
what can happen based on this set up? Yes obviously the turbo will be pointless..but someone got really angry at me and frustrated when they tried to explain how this would blow my engine (which doesn't make sense to me at all)
but i just want to know....can any harm be done by this set up?

Okay

wait.
this question could easily be aswered.
Does the compression happen inside the TURBO
or inside the CYLINDERS???

and i beleive i would only get the sound of the turbo spool...but no BOV or waste gate sound (not sure which is which...i mean the PSHH sound) (lol)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
It's going to be a waste of money. That's all it's going to be/do.

Okay. This is GOING to be a strange question and Please dont ask WHY im going to do this unless it is necessary in order to answer the question.

The question is

If i set up a turbo but only do it half way, meaning, The turbo is hooked up to the exhaust so it is receiving its power to spool up, but instead of any piping or inter cooler or anything
the power and compressed air of the turbo is just shot out of the other end of the turbo.(meaning the air never actually goes into the engine, all the compressed air is just shot out...into no where .it goes no where but thin air.)

if you look at this simple pic , you might get what im trying to explain
http://www.btnturbo.com/images/pic_turboworks2.jpg

so the left side of the picture is all hooked up
but on the right side, where the blue air is coming out of the turbo (compressed air going into cylinder)
just imagine that there is no piping there...no inter cooler, just the bare turbo. So no air actually reaches the engine, it just gets shot out..
what can happen based on this set up? Yes obviously the turbo will be pointless..but someone got really angry at me and frustrated when they tried to explain how this would blow my engine (which doesn't make sense to me at all)
but i just want to know....can any harm be done by this set up?

Okay

wait.
this question could easily be aswered.
Does the compression happen inside the TURBO
or inside the CYLINDERS???

and i beleive i would only get the sound of the turbo spool...but no BOV or waste gate sound (not sure which is which...i mean the PSHH sound) (lol)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It would proabably over spool and destroy the turbo.

Not only is there much less load on the compressor side but without a boost refference there is no way to work the wastegate.

If the WG was left open there is still likely enough flow to run the turbo past it's safe max RPM.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
honestly

im so retarded for even asking this question.
like, these answers are kind of obvious.
im so sorry for wasting your guys' time lol
my bad.

i realzie that if there is no pressure on the other end of the turbo..the turbine will just keep spinning and spinning till the blades break off and go flying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can some one like delete this thread or something?
kinda pointless now lol thanks tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.