Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im about to buy my 1988 5spd MX6 GT, but heres the problem.. when i put it on a hill and pull the hand break it rolls down... this means i have to jam it in 1st gear to prevent that but to pass safety i need a good hand break so does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it? also the price someone might charge to do it for me? thnx a lot...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds to me like your cables have stretched itself out. Mine does that. You'll just have to replace the cables on it or if there's an adjuster, you can just adjust it. I don't know if it has one or not cause I haven't done mine yet. Cost probably be like around $100+, depends on how much the cables are.

·
Registered
405 Posts
you may need new brakes. my hand break used to go all the way to the top before it would stop the car. once i changed the brakes, i get about 3 to 4 clicks out of it. those 3 or 4 clicks is it's max now too.

brakes are fairly cheap as well, i think i paid like 20 for the top of line at napa. they are by far the easiest drum breaks i have ever changed. i dont think they took me even 45 min to do them both. i had her up on a lift though, that may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am just about to replace the rear breaks on a 92MX6 GT (disc) with a similar problem. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx alot!

well im gonna be waiting until you get yours done manifest... if its as simple as that im gonna have a new 88 MX6 GT... thnx again

·
Registered
666 Posts
The cables are fairly easy to replace, I did mine, they were stretched. Got them from a junked MX6 for $15 too. It worked for a while, but, then the calipers started binding.. Took them apart and greased them, and the parking brake still won't hold. Dunno what the problem is now. Hopefully it's something easy. Diagnosing the problem is hard, doing the actual work is actually quite easy, for disc brakes anyway. I don't mess with drums.

·
Registered
405 Posts
the drums on our non-gt's are cake. like two springs, brakes off. two springs, breaks on. took me more time to take the wheel off that to change the brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts