Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped out my gearbox and my gearstick is now kinda hard to move, I can still drive the car but sometimes its hard to get it in third from forth.
Could it be the gear oil I'm using? Fuchs RX80 I'm thinking I should get some Redline MT90 for it.
Could it be anything else? did I forget to adjust something?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Did you by chance swap the shifter bushings? I had this happen right after I replaced a set of shifter bushings (below shifter). The shifter was too tight at first, but things loosened up back to normal after a few days. Maybe the bushings need to be lubed.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Most likely you didn't, but did you happen to modify the shifter at all? Perhaps pull the two pieces apart to create a custom short shifter? If so, put it back to stock.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I had the exact same problem - the tranny would not go into third when downshifting from fourth. All I replaced was the clutch, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing. I didn't replace anything else which led me to believe it was the throw-out bearing (was also making noise).

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i had a problem...then after a while, got stuck in 3rd...then it was real muddy to shift...then it wouldn't go into gear at all!!! it was my shift gate...but hopefully it's as easy as shifter bushings

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I'll order/get the bushings tomorrow and order the oil tonight.
Other than that I can only think the selector shaft in the gearbox is bent or something, but the strange thing is it sometimes comes free and feels almost normal :?
I'll will let everyone how it goes, here.

Thanks for all the help, Karma on its way.

Also my gearbox makes a noise with my foot off the clutch, I think I should start pulling my other gearbox apart. Damn... I just did the swap too :(

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
One thing to note...the 2 bushings under the shifter are the exact same as the 2 towards the transmission. The packages come in one set, as in 2 bushings. I just replaced my transmission for the 3rd time, due to the shift gate and an axle jammed in the case. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
those shiftgates are a bitch ain't they? hahah

btw...is there an easier way to replace the shifter bushings than going underneath the car? i've always had a certain 'phobia' about going underneath a car that's not on a lift...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
those shiftgates are a bitch ain't they? hahah

btw...is there an easier way to replace the shifter bushings than going underneath the car? i've always had a certain 'phobia' about going underneath a car that's not on a lift...
Sure, you can just flip the car upside down and work on it like that. :D Or hire a trunk monkey....

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
haha...funny mofo :flipa:

i need to do mine...just hoping there was a different way, like my Z car...you can change them while inside the car...heh

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Eh, no it's not possible to change them from the inside. Just place the jackstands under the car and leave the jack under the side you put the last stand on, just for extra security. You'll be fine. I've been under my car countless times and it's never fallen on me..yet :p Im sure we all have that fear, but it's something you have to overcome if you want to do the work yourself. Just use the proper equipment the proper way and you'll be fine. Also, yes..shiftgates are a PITA. I can completely tear my tranmission out in my head, by every bolt...sad.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
haha...funny mofo :flipa:

i need to do mine...just hoping there was a different way, like my Z car...you can change them while inside the car...heh
My friend has an old datsun Z, and there's a huge hole in the floor panel. I could change the oil from inside the car..... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts