Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah coil wire, the one that goes to the distributor to the coil thing. For the 4 bangers, comes from the distributor, then it goes around the airfilter box to something(coil?). So in all I have 5 wires, 4 that go to the plugs and this other wire, the one that didnt come in the kit. And on the box it states that you should replace each wire with a new one. Then it says replace the coil wire, the blue cap on the distributor and the black cap on the coil. I dont know about the v6, I'll check out the 626.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
gchild said:
Yeah coil wire, the one that goes to the distributor to the coil thing. For the 4 bangers, comes from the distributor, then it goes around the airfilter box to something(coil?). So in all I have 5 wires, 4 that go to the plugs and this other wire, the one that didnt come in the kit. And on the box it states that you should replace each wire with a new one. Then it says replace the coil wire, the blue cap on the distributor and the black cap on the coil. I dont know about the v6, I'll check out the 626.
I think (dont' hold me to this) that there were two different engine control systems installed in 4-cylinder MX6s. There were Ford EEC-based systems that used an external coil and there were Mazda MECS-based systems that used a coil integral to the distributor (like the V6s used).

If this is true (and I'm trying hard to tell you I'm not absolutely sure), then perhaps you need to go back and see if they list a second set that will include the coil wire.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mike your post sounds right; the Haynes manual seems to support that ATX cars had the Ford system while the manual box cars have the Mazda system.

Tyson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts