Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i worked on them and the stick RX-8 would be the way to go. the car has room for 4 adults if the drive doesnt have the seat all the way back. it would hold 2 kids easily. it only has 4 seats cause the console goes all the way back

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i have

wasn't too impressed with the torque!

its really smooth!
and seems like ur looking for space
its got loads! the back seats r really good and comfy so r the front
gearbox is smooth!

its a really really nice car! make sure its black with red/black leather!
i drove the 231 BHP one!
get the Sat nav too its worth it!

the only thing i didn't like is the power, lets say around 35 MPH in 4th, floor it and u won't feel a thing!! slowly slowly gonig faster!! thats the only thing i didn't like
otherwise a great car

drove my 6 after and it felt a lot quicker and more responcive!

oh and the rx8 sounds really nice
if u keep the revs high its quick ! but u gotta keep em really high!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The rotary has little low end torque, so it sucks with an automatic. And the automatic version engine has less power. And you have to check the oil every other fill up because rotaries suck oil to lubricate the seals and Mazda screwed up the design so you have to remove an engine cover just to add oil. I would check out the Infiniti G35 coupe or sedan or new Lexus IS250 or IS350. The Lexus manu-automatic has steering wheel paddle shifters. Or the Pontiac GTO which has the Corvette engine and a back seat. It is an Australian car that drives like a BMW. You can get a slightly used one for about the same price.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i dont like the fact that they made it a 4 seater. I think it was for lower insurance reason. Especially how the back doors cant open unless you open the front.

·
Registered
776 Posts
pktaske said:
What's all this about not enough juice under the hood? I thought it can slip under 6 secs for 0-60??
Not that it doesn't have enough juice (it apparently beat the 350Z in the 1/4mile) just that it's max power is wayyyyy up. Just like the Honda S2000, you have to keep the revs above 7k rpm just to make it feel peppy.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Even above 7k, it just didn't feel peppy at all. Sure, the numbers on a track look good, but there is so little torque, that it just doesn't "feel" fast. Besides which, with a high-revving car, it's easy to get caught in the wrong gear, and hence have insufficient accelleration for the activity...

Basically, I didn't care for it. It probably handled ok, too, but it just didn't feel fast, and cost way too much, considering what you were getting.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
unless you drive one of these in the twisties, you're not going to appreciate it. they handle like a dream. it almost makes up for the complete and utter lack of power. lol.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Don't believe in all those that say it lacks power.

It certainly is much quicker than a stock Mx6 and can run against any Z or S2k.

The real reason why most people say it feels slow is due to the characteristic of the Renesis. If you look at the HP chart there is no bump prelavent to most other vehicles (especially the S2k.) I drove it hard for about an hour and it grew on me. The power did not seem to be there, but if you looked down you will realize your going much faster than you though. The absolute smoothness of it makes you think your going slow, but your not.

If I had a family and was looking for a 4 door I would certainly consider one. If you have kid they won't even notice the car accelerating all the way to redline until it BEEPS. The wife won't even notice your hauling ass because it doesn't really seems like it. That might be a negative for some, but if you have a family it is definately a positive.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Yeah, the smoothness kinda reminds me of my ZE. it's not as "eventful" as the acceleration on a KL03. It doesn't feel fast, but the speedometer tells a different tale. Don't get me wrong, i loved the RX8 i test drove (MT btw), but it just didn't thrill me. :shrug: i guess i was looking for a little more in the "fun to drive" category than it delivered. Mazda needs to bring back something a little more reminiscent of the rx7. :(

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Rotary engines burn a bit of oil while running. They're supposed to do that and it's normal. Is mazda ever going to put out a turbocharged RX-8? I know greddy has a kit out for it but I figured mazda might make one from the factory.

metros

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Rumours are that they are working on a turbocharged Renesis engine..... but it is destined to be used in.......................... the new RX-7 (another rumour) })

The RX-8 is a fine handling, good looking car, with 4 full sized seats..
It wasn't designed to be a replacement for the RX-7, or as a 2+2.... it was designed to try and be the best of both worlds, and for that, it manages quite well.

When pushed, it is quick.. but as most people who have driven one will tell you, it doesn't feel as fast as it should do.. mainly down to the torque curve... in fact. out of the two models (231 and 192) there isn't much difference in performance, because the lower of the two actually has more torque... although the 6 gears on the 231 makes up a bit for the less torque.

A turbo would make the world of difference, because of the large increase in torque that is gained... If Mazda would only listen..

John

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
This is one of the cars on my list of possibles when I graduate and have a decent job. Looks like if I swing this way the greddy kit will have to go in. Other cars include STi, RSX, RX-8, mr2...eh there's more I just can't remember.

metros

1 - 20 of 23 Posts