Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah those woulda made my life a lot easier, became available a few years too late for me! oh well, its all part of the experience i guess haha. those are pretty sweet though, ive heard theyre pretty easy to set up (modular pieces) and easier to tune than say, TWM's (cough cough)...good deal cheaper too!:tup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
im curious, how would the power band change with a itb setup? i understand that higher unrestricted airflow improves power. i am wanting to know if it would add more power across the entire rpm range, or if it would only give real increases in the top end performance.

sorry for asking, but i want to understand this stuff.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
They are better everywhere. There is no power advantage over a big single throttle though, slightly worse in fact, but with ITBs you can still control the engine which you can't with an unrestrictive single and large plenum.

·
Registered
338 Posts
you can still control the engine which you can't with an unrestrictive single and large plenum.
why is that? dont really folow this one please explain. i thought the only advantage of itb's were that you can easily change intake lengts by swapping the trumpets on them?

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
well, at low rpm 10% throttle on a 100mm throttle is 100kpa and full torque. with itbs you have control and flow, with a single you can only have one or the other. it's not an absolute, but it is worth thinking about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well, at low rpm 10% throttle on a 100mm throttle is 100kpa and full torque. with itbs you have control and flow, with a single you can only have one or the other. it's not an absolute, but it is worth thinking about.

so you would reach peak torque numbers very early in your rpm range correct?

·
Registered
338 Posts
ah ic. but is that realy such a big problem? i mean itb's cost big money and there meant for n/a. so as long as you stay n/a and dont make other big engine modifications your stock mani length cant be way of. and ive never heard complaints of the fe3 guys running mustang tb's about control.

so the mazda double trotthle isn't such a bad idea afterall

btw i once had a ford tb in my hand. they had a real nice construction to let it open the first few mm.s verry slow and the rest faster!

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
ah ic. but is that realy such a big problem?
That depends on where you place value. I had no issue with my 70/80 (i forget what it is) on the ute. Then again, how can you tell when the turbo is screwing the torque response beyond resonable anyway... basically turbo drivers are less fussy than na drivers. We'll see what happens in the future, but I'd happily go with a 4.0 32v spinning 8k with itbs and cams. 400hp is still 400hp and it would be MUCH more fun to drive.

i mean itb's cost big money and there meant for n/a. so as long as you stay n/a and dont make other big engine modifications your stock mani length cant be way of.
Tell nissan that! Two different ITB+Boost cars mass produced. ITBs offer so much better flow though in general. just because the air is right there and doesn't have to play catch up.

and ive never heard complaints of the fe3 guys running mustang tb's about control.
Again, with a turbo you aren't going to notice much.

so the mazda double trotthle isn't such a bad idea afterall
It never was, just ordinarily sized :)

btw i once had a ford tb in my hand. they had a real nice construction to let it open the first few mm.s verry slow and the rest faster!
That's called "progressive" and is common on anything half decent. My lexus one is progressive too. Perhaps thats why it didn't suck too badly.

dual staged or progressive single do the same thing pretty much.

Fred.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts