Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CG-Lock Performance Add-on for your Seat belt

I am thinking about getting one for my mazda3. I move around a lot in that seat and I have heard that people like them.

They won't work on an mx6 seatbelt because the mx6 seatbelt goes through two loops on the tongue. Maybe it could be modified though. I'd have to look and see.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
if you have an old car seat, grab one from that...

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
never used one but i think its a great idea. i replaced the lap belt in my 1st gen with a universal lap belt from the parts store. i can now tighten it to keep me in the seat and it works wonders. i dont know how i drove the car before...

the only problem is as my dad put it "if you get in a wreck it will cut you in half" idk how much stock you put in that but it was a concern for a little while...

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if I buy what your dad said Looby. The seatbelt locks when you hit something anyway and you don't see people with race harnesses laying on the pavement in multiple pieces after they crash.

Zach, that's kind of a cool idea but how do you attach it to the belt?

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Seen it used. Something similar is what Zack is mentioning, child seatbelt locks. Another alternative is a chest strap. I used that for a while and it was plenty effective for all of $10.

When I ran the 88GT in G-stock I didnt use anything but the stock belts with a little trick. I posted about it here... ProbeTalk.com Forums - View Single Post - Locking seat belt for autocross...

Sit upright, no "gangsta lean".

Put on seatbelt and slide seat back 5-6". Now, here is the trick.

Suck in that gut, lean back and cinch the lower part of the belt tight on your waist by pulling upwards on the chest strap of the seatbelt with your right hand. When its suitably tight around your waist, firmly and with a quick jerk downwards, pull downwards on the belt. The quick motion of you pulling on the belt will trick the inertia reel into locking the belt.

Hold the belt in the locked position. You should have a couple of inches of space between your chest and the belt. While still holding on to the belt, lean forward so that your chest is tight against the belt. Remove hand.

Keep the tension on the belt so it stays locked with your chest and at the same time hold onto the steering wheel and hold onto the seat slider. Release the slider and pull yourself forward with the steering wheel until you are tightly sandwiched between the (still locked) seatbelt and the back of the seat.

Comfy? ....Too bad, breathing is for wimps.

It might take a bit to get the coordination, but it works like a charm. In the end, the final distance you are looking for is...wrists on the top of the steering wheel at 12-o-clock with arms fully extended with no slack in the seatbelt.
No cost and effective.

Gavin

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
hmmm.. I'll have to pick one of these up, these look really cool. :)

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Sit upright, no "gangsta lean".

Put on seatbelt and slide seat back 5-6". Now, here is the trick.

Suck in that gut, lean back and cinch the lower part of the belt tight on your waist by pulling upwards on the chest strap of the seatbelt with your right hand. When its suitably tight around your waist, firmly and with a quick jerk downwards, pull downwards on the belt. The quick motion of you pulling on the belt will trick the inertia reel into locking the belt.

Hold the belt in the locked position. You should have a couple of inches of space between your chest and the belt. While still holding on to the belt, lean forward so that your chest is tight against the belt. Remove hand.

Keep the tension on the belt so it stays locked with your chest and at the same time hold onto the steering wheel and hold onto the seat slider. Release the slider and pull yourself forward with the steering wheel until you are tightly sandwiched between the (still locked) seatbelt and the back of the seat.

Comfy? ....Too bad, breathing is for wimps.

It might take a bit to get the coordination, but it works like a charm. In the end, the final distance you are looking for is...wrists on the top of the steering wheel at 12-o-clock with arms fully extended with no slack in the seatbelt.
That's exactly what I do. The CG lock looks cool, but never seen one used before. So until that happens, money stays in pocket and the Gavin method shall remain in use!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts