Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really need some kelp with this one...a couple of weeks ago I was driving at about 60 kph and my 94 Probe Auto wouldn't accelerate any further...it would rev to about 4,000RPM's but nothing...only when I slowly take my foot off the accelerator would it ever slowly increase in speed. In the last week I am lucky to go past 20 kph!!! Have been told it could be the ditributor, but a mechanic friend says I need to replace the PCM...I had a bunch of codes but after replacing a few sensors, no codes anymore...until you disconnect the MAF for example whilst the engine is running...then it shows but after clearing the codes (disconnect the battery and press brake pedal), then nothing. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I doubt it is the pcm .. but if it is I have one … I would look @ the fuel system/pump or the dizzy..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just spoke to another mechanic who reckons I have a blocked exhaust! Why is it that these guys have different opinions for everything?! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will look at the easiest and cheapest options first I guess. What is it you recommend I check as far as the fuel pump? Had it replaced a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey Panther,

Wierd problem. We could use a bit more info though - eg:

- Does the car change gears OK up to 60? Could be a gearbox problem
- Can you rev above 4000 when in drive? Could be a gearbox problem
- Can you rev above 4000 when in neutral?
- Is there any hesistation up to this RPM range? Could be an electrics problem
- What sensors did you replace, and did the problem begin as soon as you replaced them? Could be a sensor giving crap data from an incorrect replacement or faulty sensor
- You mentioned that 'only when you take your foot off the gas does it increase in speed'... does this mean that you are trying with wide open throttle? Could be a problem with fuel delivery choking the engine
- Does the car appear loaded (i.e can you accelerate to whatever speed you can get to at a reasonable rate)? Perhaps a brake problem - the probes had a problem with the rear brake caliper locking up due to the handbrake

Cheers,

Jasonius

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jasonius...

Okay, so here's the story...like I said a couple of weeks ago I could get up to about 60kph and even if I floored it, the revs would increase but no acceleration, but only slight and minimal increase when I take my foot off the pedal. Then last week, I could barely get it going past 20 kph or so...thought it was the transmission and had it serviced but looks okay.

When I first start the car and head down the street, all is okay for the first hundred metres but when I turn into another street and need to accelerate I can barely move and it'll sputter.

I pulled codes 2, 8, 10, 17, 23, 24 and 41...I've replaced both O2 sensors and cleared the computer and it came back with only 41, so I got that at a wreckers and replaced it...now there are no codes (I've only had the Probe for about 5 months and don't know it's previous history).

Problem is that when I turn on the ignition and whilst it's in Park, the engine can go up to about 2,000 rpms and then loses power and starts to sputter.

Have been told three things so far...blocked exhaust, distributor and PCM is screwed. Unsure of too many terms you used Jasonius as I am new to this but am learning bloody fast. Love this car but hate the fact that I amy have ended up with a lemon.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I’m sure some one in Melbourne will hook up with you to swapover pcms to put that ether in or out..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You think that's the prob? If I can't get one...I'll try the wreckers...or maybe buy yours?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts