Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent £2k on a 1995 (N reg) MX6 2.5 auto. It's silver, with leather, etc and 66k miles. Just had £1700 spent on major work (incl Timing belt). Was this a good buy or have I been had?

Don't mind too much - drove like a dream and when i've given it a little TLC, it will look the dogs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't worry, the Autos over here are nowhere near as bad as in the US. Don't know why, but from what i've read they seemed to be made out of play-doe over there.

As for your buy, 2K is a wee bit much now, but thats very low milage for one of these so I think you've done quite well. Look after her and she'll go forever (so to speak).

Oh, and welcome to the club.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
For what you paid with the mileage, and leather, perhaps about right, depending on condition etc.

Welcome to the board, you'll find all advice and help you need here.

Graeme

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Hi Sov, and welcome to the club..

2K for a N reg, with that mileage, is pretty decent...
However, £1700 for work doing is very OTT... whoever did this takes his holidays in the carribean 3 times a year...

Saying that, it all boils down to how happy you are with the car, regardless on how much has been spent...

As for us on here, we will relieve you of most of your savings... once you get bitten by the modding bug.. CAI, Exhaust, Body.. etc etc etc.

John

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The price of the car isn't too bad... But what work did you have done to rack up a £1700 bill? Did you have it done at a mazda dealer, you won't make that mistake again as you can buy the parts yourself for around half or a third of what they charge.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Sov.

You have a GREAT car and no matter what anyone says you will get your moneys worth.

You got a LOT of car for your money and the piece of mind you will get from spending will help you enjoy it more.

I'm sure you will get the modding bug from reading the forums and belive me its not all doom and gloom. (it seems that way sometimes because people ask questions when they have problems) The mx6 is pretty much bomb proof and one of the most underrated sports coupes in the world for the money.

Welcome to the club and enjoy the car.

Dave :wave:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh by the way its a unwritten condition of being a member here to have a £10 market plasma ball and pink paint work. ......Well someone has to replace stuz!

Oh also you may want to book yourself in for a nice drive down to the new forest in november - see the 'meets' section!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the answers. I'll arrange the pink spray job asap.

the previous owner traded in for a new A4 convertible - think Carrib is right for hols!!

I've been reading the threads - you seem a good bunch. Good banter and advice.

Must confess - do prefer manuals but was under pressure from the wife!!! (being bold while she's out of the room!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re. work done - think the dealer saw him coming - timing belt, brakes, cv's, and plenty more. Good for me.

Was amazed by the look, sound feel of the engine - felt great (my 1st mazda so may be standard).

What is the life expectancy of the auto box?

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Fairly long life for ours.. US boxes are weak, but to be fair, that's only on the 2.0L models, where they used a Ford box.. All ours are Mazda units, and are much stronger.. even the 2.0 models (626 and import MX-6's)

Saying that, they still need to have the ATX changed every 2 years, or sooner if discoloured and smells burnt.

John

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
We've seen a lot of auto's going for scrap lately though, could be that they've just been neglected. But it wouldn't hurt to get the ATX fluid changed... I believe it takes about 8lts.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Welcome Sov,
Dave (mx6-uk) put it just right... and all the info you'll ever need can be found here.

Oddy.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
automatic gearbox

My autobox has done over 170000 miles and is still going strong.

US cars have the oil cooler integrated into the main engine radiator whereas UK cars have a separate oil cooler. I think this is why the US ones tend to play up.

I am doing the ATX fluid next month and there may be a write up on the database if you fancy doing it yourself.

ifc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will check to see if the ATX fluid has been done - thanks for the tip.

The car sat around for a long time and sailed through the MOT. Picking it up tomorrow - then the fun will begin.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome Sov

Sounds like a good buy to me!!! Hope it gives you much pleasure.

I've had mine for 3 years (tommorow) and the good folks here have been amazing with offers of help and advice. I think for the money these cars are underated and one USP for us oldies if you've got trouble n strife, kids and dogs you can pack them in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts