Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes my exhaust manifold bolt just keep spinning (top right one) in its hole.
i got a new bolt and nut from mazda to see if it was that but no luck

anyway how much would it be to get a helicoil to be put in there?

does the head need to be removed?

does the turbo, exhaust manifold or anything else have to be removed?

also will not doing anything about it fark my car up an further than the high pitched vibrating noise when cold??

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
will not doing anything about it fark my car up an further than the high pitched vibrating noise when cold??
Yeah, in time it will fark the remaining studs. Every time you take off or bang a shift you put load on the studs because of the squishy engine mounts. Your flex pipe helps but not 100%.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah didnt think of that..

so anyone knwo anycosts...these days mechanics dont want to give you the time to give a ROUGH ESTIMATE over the phone

·
Registered
541 Posts
the tap is about $60, the coil about $10 for a pack of 5 from repco...

I wouldnt think a decent machanic would charge you more than $20...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i guess that the mainfold would have to come off and the turbo and the raiator to get in there???

·
Registered
642 Posts
the same thing happened to me and i fixed it about a month ago. it worked out cheaper to by a tap and a larger stud. tapped it, made the new thread, put it all back together. i got quoted $90 for a heli coil kit from repco, and u can imagine what i told them to do with it!

i took off the exhaust manifold/turbo/dump pipe as one unit. as a hint, dont undo the oil line from the turbo (the top oil line), undo it from just under the distributor. about 2.5 hours to take it off and reinstall it and bout 45 mins to tap the thread. good luck with it man!

oh yeh, i got quoted $200 from highpoint exhausts and $180 from radiant exhausts. all up it costed me bout $30 (and a free gasket from XsKaPe)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when u say u bought a larger stud, are u talking about the stud and nut combo thingy?? or what......are teh tap's hard to use?

·
Registered
642 Posts
yeh i bought a larger stud and nut combo. i actually used a dump pipe exhaust stud (was just the right size i needed). just gotta take ur time wif da tap to make sure its 100% acurate. just go nice n slow.

p.s man im so wasted! too k me 5 mins to try and work out what i needed to type! but its all accurate!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i mught just get a mobile mechanic to come out and chuck a helicoil in it.....ill take everything apart before hand....how much do u think it will cost??

ALSO if i get a helicoil put in...do i have teh change teh size of teh STUD??

·
Registered
237 Posts
black_tx5 said:
the same thing happened to me and i fixed it about a month ago. it worked out cheaper to by a tap and a larger stud. tapped it, made the new thread, put it all back together. i got quoted $90 for a heli coil kit from repco, and u can imagine what i told them to do with it!

i took off the exhaust manifold/turbo/dump pipe as one unit. as a hint, dont undo the oil line from the turbo (the top oil line), undo it from just under the distributor. about 2.5 hours to take it off and reinstall it and bout 45 mins to tap the thread. good luck with it man!

oh yeh, i got quoted $200 from highpoint exhausts and $180 from radiant exhausts. all up it costed me bout $30 (and a free gasket from XsKaPe)
mines @ the mechanic now getting this fixed, the mechanic is either ripping me or a dumbass if it took you only 2.5 hours . He guessed 2 hours , but he worked on it for more like 5 to get it off and back on ...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
black_tx5 said:
please note - i do NOT have any more free gaskets to give away hehehe :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
lino- if u get a heli coil kit, then u shouldnt have to change the size of ur stud. u drill out the original hole in the head to fit the heli coil, then u put your stud into that (i think the kit i was going to get came with studs).

shizz- the car was off the road for 2 days, but the total time of actually doing stuff to it was ~3.5hours. some of the brakets can be tricky to see and to get to. dont forget, i wasnt getting paid to fix it, and i wanted it on the road asap. ur mechanic is getting paid, and most dont care if it inconveniences u.(i took mine to the mechanics 8am yesterday and he still hasnt looked at it!).

XsKaPe- long time no speak man. im still suprised i havent seen u out on the road yet! and u live right near me! i havent seen vms dave out in a while either. i think he had a little bingle with his car (front bumper was cracked and scraped, well thats what my dad reckons).

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
nick,
i have actually seen you on the road about 2 - 3 times, but not since the last time we spoke.. i didnt actually know you were going to maccas to meet me, i didnt get your p.m till i got home!.. what a coincidence eh?

i also havent seen david for ages!.. last time i saw him was about a month ago, driving a bmw with rims, exhaust, lowered etc.. was pretty sweet looking..

still set for AMM come end of summer? im debating if i should go for microtech, or instead use the money to get myself a beefier bottom end and head.

i'll stop whoring the thread now.

but on the topic - i hate broken bolts.. i had a LOUD exhaust manifold leak for MONTHS.. i tried fixing it several times, and in the end just gave up and took it to the mechanic.. the b!tch rekons he worked on it flat out all friday afternoon, and saturDAY trying to get one bolt out.. *shrugs*

·
Registered
642 Posts
lol sounds like good old status from highpoint exhausts alright.

im thinking about getting a chip for the ecu, just waiting to see if i have the right ecu. should be interesting, as another member on these boards got ~30kw atw from it.........but if that fails ill look into the microtech further and weigh up the options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts