Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day MX6ers
I'm about to change my head cover gasket, not the easy one, but the one at the back under all the induction gear {mines a V6} Is there something I should be careful of ? Can you offer any advice ?
I also wanted to know when talking about the V6, is the rear half considered left or right ? {when ordering the parts}. Oh! and one last thing is there a gasket between the inlet manifold and the head ? {or just sealer} Thanks for your help !
P.K.
:)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Nasty colour sir :D

I only just swapped my intake manifold for a manifold I did some light porting on myself and have a few tips:

1) There are something like 5 of the small vacuum lines you must disconnect from behind the manifold to get it off. One is located near the VRIS #1 actuator. Two more are in back of the manifold and 2 more are near the throttle body. The majority of the rats nest of vacuum lines doesn't have to be disconnected. Leave the VRIS plate & solenoids in place while removing it.

For the 2 lines in back that go down to the EGR solenoids, use extreme care. There's a 'T' fitting for one of these; try to disconnect that one at this 'T' rather than down on the solenoid. The reason is that the solenoid nipple is cheesy plastic and *very* fragile. It will more than likely break on you and at $CDN175 from a dealer, it ain't cheap to fix. I broke mine off by accident and now have a golf-tee in the vacuum line and a code 16 :D

Regardless, make notes if you have to to remind yourself where these go. When I first tried to start mine, I'd left off the big breather tube near the #1 VRIS (you'll see what I mean) and the brake booster hose.

There are a couple of other hoses (cruise control, fuel pressure regulator etc) but these are easy to get at.

2) Unless someone in the past has left it off, there's a bolt on the back of the manifold that acts as a "stay" and the manifold will not come off unless it's removed. It's located directly under where the brake booster hose connects to the manifold.

3) Be very careful of the knock sensor wiring when removing and re-installing the manifold. It's easy to snag it or crush it.

4) The manual says to drain the cooling system. This is overkill. AFAICT, the only coolant-related connections are the two under the throttle body and when I disconnected mine, very little coolant came out.

The rest of the removal is pretty easy though getting at the coolant lines on the throttle body are a bit dodgy. I found it easiest to remove the throttle body and get the hoses (especially the one in behind the big breather tube) this way.

On top of your VCG supplies, you will need as a minimum:

- two intake manifold gaskets (don't just use sealer here)
- two copper washers for the fuel inlet at the fuel rail
- throttle body gasket if you choose to remove it for access to the coolant lines
- get some intake cleaner and use the opportunity to clean the head ports. I had some black gunk like the stuff you see near the throttle plate in mine. Not much, but I feel better having cleaned it out.

That's all that comes to mind. I'll add more if I remember anything of note.

Edit 1: Ah yes, Xeon is absolutely correct: "left" is the radiator side of the engine, "right" is the firewall side of the engine. Forgot to address this in the first go 'round.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mike is 100% on that one. I did the job about a month ago in my 95. The dealer can tell you which is left or right, as I don't remember. The Ford dealer may have the gaskets as well, for a few $ cheaper.

Get some masking tape or some other tape you can write on, and label each hose and what it plugs into, and each electrical connection and what it plugs into. Then (perhaps as overkill, but it was handy for me), write them down on a piece of paper just in case you can't remember where something went.

I think I had numbered up to about 25 when I did that.

Tyson

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well Mike covered the procedure pretty good, it's lots of stuff to do and be careful and take note of the vacuum lines and all should go well. The left and right of the engine is done by the orientation of the transmission and accessory belts, ie. front and back. That said, the front is left and the rear is right.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really awsome man! Thanks a whole bunch !!
I feel a lot better about changing the gasket now, knowing that the "MX6 GANG" can help with advice and I think with your instructions/advice I can't go wrong !!
Thanks again.... P.K.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts