Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my head gasket just went on my car, should i fix it myself or get a guy to do it. should i get my heads rebuilt or tested or what. im new to this i need help
love my car dont want i t to die
88 mx6 gt

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Head needs to be check for cracks, warp etc, but it might be better if u get another cylinder head if u overheat the motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I say just fix it

Head gasket won't cost much, and may as well buy a kit from Felpro (the best brand available). Get the Felpro Permatorque setup for your car. Also consider just buying a master gasket kit as it will be worthwhile long term since eventually all the gaskets you get with this, you will need at one point or another even if you don't change them all right now. Save you boatloads of cash as well since you are not buying one at a time and making all those trips to AZ for this one and that one.

Just make sure you do your research first on how to do the swap and remember the bolts need to be reinstalled back in their exact location they came from. The whole job may only cost you a few hundred or so, but you will learn a great deal about your car and feel much more confident when you tackle other projects on it later on. These are relatively simple cars, but learning a bit about them makes things much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Changing a HG on these is not bad at all. I have changed them in less then an hour before. If you have a decent set of tools and even a basic Haynes repair manual this isn't too much of a task. The felpro shouldn't run you too much more then $40-$50 (US that is). I guess it all comes down to how much is the guy going to charge vs. do yuo want to tackle it yourself?

It's a good learning experience though.

Nick

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well if you love it then...... yes fix it yourself. The experience will be good for you. Thats if you already have some mechanical knowledge. If not then yes have someone you TRUST do it. And of course help. And by help don't just keep tossing him beers.

Could be an eye openning event.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the haynes manual is no help on a gt. it tells u to take off way more than u need to. i used it on my first head gasket job and it took me forever. might not have helped that it was -5 at the time

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha thanks yeah im going to get a guy to do it, for 45 and hour plus parts so hopefully its good after that

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey my car turns off when i turn right when the tank is under half full, ways to fix this? and sometimes its hard to start(foot to the floor normally works)

·
Registered
510 Posts
hey my car turns off when i turn right when the tank is under half full, ways to fix this? and sometimes its hard to start(foot to the floor normally works)

Change the fuel filter my car did that and oddly enough thats what is was. You probably have a dirty gas tank get a new one or get that one clean. your not getting enough fuel to your engine.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
has anyone done a head gasket without taking off the intake manifold? would it make it quicker to do?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
you can take the head off with the lower part of the intake manifold still attached. Just be aware there is a bracket that goes from the behind block to the lower intake manifold that needs to be unbolted. I guess you could leave the upper intake plenum attached too if you wanted.

You would most likely have to removed the intake manifold after in case you need to get the head shaved a little if there is warpage. I would even changed the gaskets while you have it all apart anyway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its easier to take the intake manifold loose than it is to unhook all the vac. lines (and forget were they go), remove the throttle cables, unplug all the wiring, remove the egr line (this is easier to take loose at the intake rather than the exhaust btw)..yada yada yada you get the idea. Its allot easier to take 7 bolts loose, a egr line, and a bracket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts