Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My head unit goes on and off sometimes. I have two tens, and a 800 watt amp. I am running it with a normal battery. What is wrong, why does the head unit shut off on me? It happens more often when the Air is on.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
check all the connections in the back of the head unit...chances are the wires for the display are not correctly placed. either that or your deck is running out of time..so save up.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Could just be overheating especially if you are driving a 1st gen turbo in Florida. You didn't say what your driving so I'll go with what I know and maybe it will help. Remember your head unit is an amplifier too and just like the amps you might put under the seats they will simply shut themselves off for a while until they cool down if they should overheat. Juicing your head unit coupled with Florida heat and even more heat made from a turbo car with the a/c on might just be causing your problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The ground wire of your head unit is connected on the right way?
A friend of my had the same problem because his ground wire make not enought contact.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
It might be the groung? Becasue I had some stupid friend instal it, but maybe it is over heating? Or could it be because my amp has sucked all the power from my battery???

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I don't think it would be anything to do with your amp since its your head unit that is going in and out. Check to see if your amp goes out as well when it happens. That could tell you something. Grounding is very important and a good connection to the antenna lead is also very important. Pull your head unit out and make sure there aren't any exposed wires. If there are perhaps they are shorting out. A little electrical tape fixes that. A fresh battery never hurts but it doesn't sound like a charge problem to me if you aren't experiencing any other electrical disturbances like a dead battery in the morning. One other thing to check is to crank it up and see if your headlights dim when the bass hits. If they do, you might want to consider a bigger battery, alternator, or a lightning cap.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Alright well my head unit dims when the bass hits. So does that mean I need to get a bigger battery, or a copassator?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts