Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just got a new head unit, the sony x-plod ES CDX-m650. I was just wondering, i saw the holes to get the old unit out, but i dont have the tool, what should i do? Should i go buy a tool from the dealership or whatever? also do i need a wiring harness adapter for the 6? thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
removal

If it helps you can do that or you can go to pep boys and/or any audio shop. When I put my kenwood in I bought a harness. (its a lot easier)to me at least cause it color coded.
Bryan

[Edited by mx6-LS on 03-14-2001 at 07:58 PM]

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just pulled my stock deck out a few days ago. I used four coat hanger ends. Did the trick, just a little more difficult than using the tool. Each corner has a metal piece that catches the inside of the mounting bracket/frame/dash/whatever, so each one needs to be pushed and held in so that they releasethe catch. Once that's done with, go to Canadian Tire and buy their wiring harness kit. It costs $10, and it's coloured coded to match every after market deck, that I know of. It will save you a lot of time and frustration.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i just tried the coat hanger thing and i cant seem to find where it catches. i got one side in but the other side the coat hangers wont go in, maybe i will try another size. do you know how long they have to be? or how long it takes for that matter. well anyways thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
yeah, it's a real bitch! the things that need to be pushed in are only about 1/2-1 inch into the hole. they push in toward the inside of the deck, away from the frame/dash..I had the same problem, the right side unlatched, but I couldn't find the one's on the left. I actually broke the face plate off to see what I was pushing in. If you don't care what happens to it...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah im having the same damn problem! the freakin right side is nice and easy to get, but the damn left side is really pissing me off. i cant find the latches or whatever they are, the hanger wont go into the hole real tight like the other side, it just kinda hangs there and i cant find it. i dont really want to break it, but i will probably end up doing that by tomorrow. ha.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
hey.....

try not to shift the mounting bracket back and forth. this might be why the one side is harder to remove than the other. just a thought....

SolarSlash

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont thin i have, i mean the first time i ever touched it, it was like it is now. i just can seem to find it. it is really pissing me off, i think i am just going to break the mofo.

G

·
When I replaced my head unit, I just went up to the Mazda dealership and one of the guys there just took the stock radio out for me for free. It took him two seconds and he said to come back up later and show him the new one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i think i am about to do that because i cant get the bitch out. i took it to best buy and circuit city and neither of the install departments there could get it out without breaking the face off. i took the sony head unit back and got the pioneer 5200, just like the looks of it a little bit more with the car i think...just wish i could get it in, heh.

G

·
Wow, I just came here to start a similar thread. The holes that you have to stick the coat hanger in, these are the four round holes, yes? On each side I noticed there were 2 round holes and two smaller rectangle holes and I don't think anyone ever said specifically which hole. I assume the circle ones? Tonight we tried using nails and other assorted objects, but couldn't get the thing out. Why couldn' they just use screws like normal cars? (and like the heating/cooling unit!) ...I guess this way it's possible to pull it out without messing with the dash (which I wasn't aware of before tonight :D). I was planning on buying the tool tomorrow, if I can find it. Yes? No? This coat hanger thing sounds like a nightmare.

BTW, I think I need to start checking here more often before messing with crap on my car. Before knowing how it worked, I thought the 3 clips on the top and bottom of the face place might do the trick and now the AM/FM and Seek buttons are royally f'd up! I have to bang the AM button very hard to get it to switch to AM. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!! Oh well, hopefully a new deck will be going in shortly, I just gotta get the old one out!

-matt

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, I'm glad to see I have a few people to relate to. I finally got my stock unit out...after like a week of trying. The four holes on the side of the unit, covered by the small flaps of rubber are the holes used. I tried everyting...coat hangers, nails, even install shops that do this kinda thing, but no one could get it and I found out why. There are clips on the side of the unit itself...the passenger side of the unit comes out nicely because the clips are located in an accessable spot...but the drivers side is bent out a little further. The clips are out of the reach of the holes. I finally got mad and ripped the face of the deck off. :( I was then able to see the clips, just barely though. They were all the way behind the side of the dash, unaccessable through the holes. I had to pry a coat hanger rod through there and catch the thing...still took 15 minutes once in plain view, that's how unaccessable it was. My advice to you...rip the face of the unit off, even if you really didnt want to. Taking the dash apart does nothing at all except waste 20 minutes of your time, I found that out. lol. Before you put your other unit in you might want to check out this site...
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Mazda/626-MX6.html
You have to have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the step by step instructions though. Good luck, let me know how things go.

G

·
KrzyKrackr said:
The four holes on the side of the unit, covered by the small flaps of rubber are the holes used.
Hmmm, I'm confused. I asked whether it was the round holes or the square holes, and since you didn't specify once again, perhaps I am not on the right track. I don't know what "falps of rubber" you are referring to. On the side of my deck, there are strips of trim that conceal four holes on each side. On each side there are two small square holes and two slightly larger round holes. Now, I assume these are the holes you're referring to? I need to know which ones, the square or the round. I'm going to try to have a diagram appear below. If something's awry, please let me know!

So the tool doesn't help? Damn. Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a big, difficult project? Seemed to go VERY smoothly for other people....

Here's the diagram of what I'm looking at....

And in case images aren't allowed here, would you please take a second to follow the link to see what I'm talking about:
http://members.tripod.com/~DTJesus1/deck.jpg

Sorry I don't have a digital camera, or I'd take a photo of what I'm talking about. This was just a quick drawing I whipped up to help clarify what I'm talking about. The "diagram" shows what I see without taking off any dash, but after removing the two little black strips that run vertically next to the deck.

thanks again man,
-matt

G

·
By the way, my Instand Messenger screen name is DTJesus1 ... it'd be faster to figure it out over IM and I'd really appreciate anyone who took the time to IM me and help me figure this out.

thanks,
-matt
IM Name: DTJesus1

G

·
Okay, I just checked out that PDF file you gave the link to. AWESOME resource! I think some confusion comes from the fact that the deck in my car does not match the one in the PDF file, and likely does not match the one you have either. I'm guessing they changed decks for the '95 model year. The picture in the PDF manual shows the key going through holes that are IN the deck. Holes that are supposedly covered with rubber flaps. There are no holes IN my deck. There are holes outside (left and right sides of) my deck covered with strips of plastic trim, however. 8 holes in all, 4 on each side, 2 round, 2 smaller and square. I'm guessing these are the holes I must use? I'm also guessing it is the round holes I use and not the smaller square ones....

I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see what happens. Any further input is greatly appreciated. To make matters worse, I have to have this done by Saturday.

-matt

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the larger round holes are not all the way on the four corners of the deck, but close to the sides of it use those...if u can figure out what I'm talking about.

o o

o o

1 - 18 of 18 Posts