Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having someone look into the head of my old engine. It seems that there are not any cracks, but the head itself is warped. Anyone know of the price to dewarp a head? The shop wants about $200 or so to do this and to finish the head (parts are not included in this). I already have about $150 into it to take apart, clean and pressure test. It sounds like it might be better just to pick up a used head somewhere.

What a shop does to de-warp the head is to put it in the oven for a few hours with shims to help it get back to shape. Then is is left to cool slowly. This gets out most of the warp.

[Edited by Manifest on 05-21-2001 at 05:55 PM]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How did you warp the head? I would trash it and get a nice used one just for peace of mind. You'll never know if your current one will be reliable. Don't drop all kinds of money and end up back at square one.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I do know that if I get a used head from somewhere that I would also have to have that looked at and worked on before I would put it on the engine. Who knows what has happened to that head before. Then if it is bad I am back to square one. Also a new one from Mazda is $1000 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
My friend picked up a nice rebuilt head for his 2.2 for about $300 (from what I recall). That didnt include the cam or rocker arms but the shop was more than happy to hot-tank his old stuff and transfer it in the new head. The place is called "eddies valve grind" in NJ. Do a search on verizon.com and you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Try this place in florida:

Clearwater Culinder heads inc (CCH).
Phone: (727) 572-1958 or 1-800-572-1963

I bought a head for my 92 626 and it was totally complete (cam and rockers) for $300. The job looks good, and I noticed that they reused some of the parts (like some rocker arms). They want a core (of course, core charge $75) but they pay for the shipping to and back.

They have a website but I don't have it with me

·
Registered
449 Posts
Another thing --

For some reason they painted the combustion chambers silver (head mounting surface is polished).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dewarp the head? I've never heard of this but it sounds like BS.. The only way I've ever heard to fix a warped head is grind it till it's flat again. I wouldn't trust that. You can get a Raw Power ported and polished head with a 5 angle valve job for like $500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts