Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i just ordered that pacesetter header today. after arguing with the guys at summit for like 5 min. b/c they wouldnt sell it to me b/c it was for a probe not a mx6. but i finally convinced them to sell it to me, and here is my question, they told me it wasnt going to come with a new flex pipe. Where can i get a 2.5" flex pipe for our cars?
does anyone else have a set of aftermarket headers? what did you guys do?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good luck with the header. Please keep us updated with the installation. Check out JC Whitney for the flex pipe. I think that I saw some in the current issue.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good news, the guys at probetalk talk told me it did indeed come with a new one. i will keep you guys informed as always. unless it is a dissapointment. then i will just bitch, and complain about how much i hate pacesetter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
info note:

i ordered the last one in stock from summit racing. sorry guys, acutally that is the major reason i ordered it, didnt want to come up short in the future looking for one. and i paid $140 with free shipping and no tax. not to bad i dont think, now i just have to find a place to have it coated.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i put on the header this weekend. sounds great, looks like shit once all the paint burned itself off it though. the paint smoked like hell until it all burned off. i think i cracked the rear exhaust in the back trying to break the bolts free of the convertor. you can hear a leak just behind the seats, and it is irritating. also the egr was a little tricky to get connected. but other than that it was pretty easy install. but because i dont have a garage or a jack that will jack the car up, i guess i will wait till the weekend to find out if the pipe is cracked.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A few questions for you. Do you feel a power gain or loss? If so what's powerband like now? Also, I've seen listing for a ceramic coated header for the 2.2 probe. Did you get this one, or the regular one? It lines up with no clearance problems? I heard that it sticks out about 2 inches below where the stock manifold was; true or not?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok,
i have felt a power gain. but it isnt like you would think. i really dont notice it so much off the line, but when i turn corners on the gas like i used to, the tires spin like a mad man. also it "seems" to wind up faster. but that may just be me. i will find out for sure when i take it to the track and get some #'s.
i got the regualar one's, not the armor coated. they fit like a champ, except the egr was a little tricky to hook up.
as far as it sticking down, it does a little, no 2" though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Smachan.....

So this was a direct bolt on no modifications had to be done to the headder. Let me know if this is correct then I'll try and contact JC Whittney, I just got their sport compact car catalog and they had the ceramic coated 2.2 probe headder in there. I'll try and find out how much the headder runs for.

Thanks,

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
direct fit.

yep, no mods. and it is the one for the probe, they told me it wouldnt fit, hmm guess they dont know the half of it.

G

·
Have you fixed the exaust leak? It could be the collecter not lineing up properly. This happened when I put a comptech header on a civic for a friend, and we fixed it with a copper silicone made by permatex specially designed for exaust. It's kina getto, and it takes 24 hrs to set up properly, but it worked. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
smachan...The Header that you bought what model was it for. Do you think it would fit my MX6GT?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was for a 89 probe lx. i do not think it will fit the gt b/c of the intercooler piping for the turbo. you could buy it and take it to a local muffler shop and have them modifiy it. that is a possibility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts