Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really skeptical on getting headers for my 6. I have heard nothing but bad things on the Pacesetters. But those are really the only reasonable priced ones. All I know is for the price of those other guys' headers I can get a nice shot of NOS. So, Are they worth it. Also will make exhaust sound worse. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
well i want to get one to some time but i was looking at the pacesetter good price and they do all the same stuff u know, just the others cost more, but the sound will depend on teh muffler u have and pipe and what it sounds like now so u will just have to see cause u will hav emore air going out than u do now if u get a header

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been checking in on them and I have heard nothing but bad things about the Pacesetters. That's what I was originally going to get. Now I think I'm going with HotShot's. I've heard they're better, but if anyone else has any info I'd be interested because I'm getting some next month.

·
Registered
158 Posts
from what i've been reading on these posts, the pacesetters make your car sound bad because they don't have a Y pipe on them like the stock headers do. This gives your car a less than desirable sound. However, the hotshots do have this Y pipe and are what I'm eventually going to buy. check around the posts for a more detailed explanation. i'll reply if i find the specific thread.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A more detailed explanation is in the "Best Sounding Muffler" thread in the Performance mods forum.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Horsepower!

Is there any dyno's or proofs or even people that have noticed a gain with the headers. How much do you think the headers give you?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hotshot headers are definitely the better headers that are out for the KL03 engines. The quality and material is so much better than that of pacesetter. Th eoly problem with Hotshots is that the company itseld is very unreliable. I've been trying to get a straight answer from them about these headers for almost 2 years not, since I got my car. Every time I call them, they tell me that they are being re-designed before they make them. Well, for th epeople that do have the Hotshot headers, They have gotten a significant power increase helped by a high flow car and a cat back exhaust.

I'm going to ask you guys that DO want good headers to call Hotshot and ask for them. Perhaps we can get a bulk buy going once these GEN V CERAMIC COATED HEADERS come out.

Call HotShot
(626) 303-0076

G

·
This has been discussed to death over at probetalk. Pacesetter headers give more hp gains, say 3-4 hp over the Hotshot and Brospeed, but the quality can be an issue. Apparently if you get the pacesetters with the insulating coating then there are much fewer problems with leaks and such. The sound apparently isn't unpleasant, just different. If you can afford them and don't want to deal with possible quality issues, then get the hotshots, but the pacesetters are he best deal, especially with the coating.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bulk Buy

I think JPM is right we need to get a bulk buy going on those when they come out. JPM do you know when they come out and do you know anybody that will head up the bulk buy? Manny, I really don't care about sucking the life out of my engine, considering I'm swapping mine with a KLZE.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
About the Pacesetter/Hotshot dilema, I agree, the pacesetters has proven SOMETIMES to deliver more HP than Hotshots. But answer me this, how many people with Pacesetters still have them after a couple of years.... I bet you won't find one that is still satisfied with the pacesetters and that don't complain about cracks or leaks. I would rather spend the money and get headers that will last me for a long time and that are of high quality.

As far as the avaliability of the Hotshot headers, someone actually called them up and Hotshot said that right now they have a "couple" of the Generation V headers in stock and they cost almost $500. I'm actually thinking about just wiping out my CC and getting that and the RT high flow cat from the bulk buy in Probetalk and calling it quits as far as exhaust.

And the bulk buy...... welp, I have tried to start one but Hotshot is just so crappy as far as service and patience. First of all, when they make these headers, they make like 5 or 6... "Due to the demad" they say..... So I don't know.... If we get a lot of people willing to dish out $500 for a nice set of headers that will last you a while and perform really well, then maybe I'll start something.. as for now... let me find my CC and get myself an early X-mas present.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The headers are not worth the money for the preformance gain you get! See bellow: Note: this is a ZL-ZE motor

first off my last dyno run was 175.9HP and 161.9TQ with stock exhaust manifolds
Run 1.
174.7HP and 162.5 TQ
mods - Pacesetters headers,high flow cat, 2.5 piping, resonator, Magnaflow race series muffler and more intake manifold porting.

how is that possible - my stock manifolds are just as good as headers and 2.5 piping ? I guess my restriction was not the exhaust at all unless it requires more fuel to take advantage of the new exhaust system?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Without Headers

175.9 HP and 161.9 Torque
4th gear run
ZE block
KL-03 heads
3 angle valve
Full port and polish
Shaved heads .020
64 mm throttle body
MS8 intake manifold
13.6 lbs flywheel
underdrive pulley
195lbs valve springs
ZE cams
Brullen exhaust
Timing advanced 3 deg
PRM Intake system
Both VRIS plates removed

* engine was cold

G

·
Headers can be considered when part of a complete system of upgrades, but stand alone, you get much much more for your money by getting a cat-back exhaust or a competition clutch. never buy pacesetter shit..DUDE the stock exhaust including headers and centerpipe and muffler is better than any crap pacesetter makes. I don't even know why people bother with that crap. I would advise a BORLA cat-back. Yes it's expensive but Borla's really the only company I trust after talking to many many autocrossers and mechanics i work with (I work at a spacecraft engineering laboratory where everybody builds and races their own automobiles)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts