Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of throwing on some new Headers..... Anyone have any suggestions????

Image at:Brospeed Headers

Brospeed Headers: 599.95us

Fits 1993-1995 Mazda MX-6 2.5 litre, 6cyl. Brospeed make this dyno tuned header for max performance ! Made of 14 gauge mild steel and ceramic coated for rust protection and custom looks. Heavy duty flanges for positive gasket seal.

Image at:Pacesetter Heads

Pacesetter Headers: 189.95us

Fits 1993-1995 Mazda MX-6 2.5 litre V6. PACESETTER headers give your Mazda more performance ! Added horsepower and torque ! Made of 18 gauge black painted steel. 1 1/2" diameter tubing with a 2" collector. Precision cut thick flanges for positive gasket seal. This application is pictured above.

[Edited by dacr11 on 11-24-2000 at 03:02 PM]

·
Registered
488 Posts
You missed the most popular one. http://www.hotshot.com In terms of quality the Brospeeds are the best quality and give the most hp gain, but cost the most. Pacesetters are known for their poor fit quality and leaks and nead to be ceramic coated, but cost the least. Hotshots are in between in terms of cost and hp. I don't know about availability right now on them as they were going through a slight redesign but you can check with them.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
My understanding is that the Pacesetters, believe it or not, give the best power due to their primary size & length. However, their construction, finish durability and overall reliability is suspect. They rust quickly. You can get them ceramic coated so I've heard. Not sure about those welds though.

If you go with the Pacesetters, you lose the nice Y-pipe under the car which (a) might reduce mid-range torque slightly and (b) will cause the exhaust note to become rather gross sounding, much like a 60-degree GM V6.

I don't know if recent revisions of the Hotshot headers are different than earlier ones but they never did seem to get the EGR pipe on the rear bank correct; wrong type or size of fittings.

I've heard of fire problems with some Hotshot installations due to the proximity of the EGR pipe to the power steering lines: the lines overheat, break and spray P/S fluid on the exhaust, which is hot enough to set it afire. Whether this is the fault of the installation or of the Hotshots themselves, I don't know.

MSDS are re-badged Hotshots from what I'd heard.

G

·
Headers

There are new headers out from Pacesetter, these are ceramic coated black, and run around 300 something. Also there is a new all chrome pacesetter millinieum exhaust at modacar.com

·
Registered
351 Posts
Elmer_Fudd said:
What about OBX racing headers and MIMOUSA headers on Ebay are they any good or basically the same as SSAutochrome?
I know OBX <=> ssautochrome
do not know anything about mimousa but they are proberly the same.
those are good header not to expensive.
they are hotshot knock-offs
fitment is almost good, but not bad
quality is quite good

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mike 94PGT said:
My understanding is that the Pacesetters, believe it or not, give the best power due to their primary size & length. However, their construction, finish durability and overall reliability is suspect. They rust quickly. You can get them ceramic coated so I've heard. Not sure about those welds though.

If you go with the Pacesetters, you lose the nice Y-pipe under the car which (a) might reduce mid-range torque slightly and (b) will cause the exhaust note to become rather gross sounding, much like a 60-degree GM V6.

I don't know if recent revisions of the Hotshot headers are different than earlier ones but they never did seem to get the EGR pipe on the rear bank correct; wrong type or size of fittings.

I've heard of fire problems with some Hotshot installations due to the proximity of the EGR pipe to the power steering lines: the lines overheat, break and spray P/S fluid on the exhaust, which is hot enough to set it afire. Whether this is the fault of the installation or of the Hotshots themselves, I don't know.

MSDS are re-badged Hotshots from what I'd heard.
most people are under the impression that if you have pacesetters te car will sound like crap, now don't get me run they might not sound quite as good, but if you have the right exhaust behind them i thinnk they can sound good, here's a clip if you don't believe me, this is with pacesetters, 2.5" highflow cat, 2.5" piping, with a vibrant resignator, and black street power muffler

http://media.putfile.com/Mx6-vs-Supra

Reactions: Trent

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Even if they don't sound like total ass then you still have to worry about how long they're going to hold up. They're notorious for having leaks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Whats the point of a 2.5 exhaust aren't the Pacesetters Ypipe outlet only 2.25?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Regaurdless of the y-pipe exhaust exiting size a larger diameter catback will add more hp...if you want to wait till you're higher in the rpm range to get it. A 2 1/4 catback will also add power. The whole exhaust system doesn't have to be the same size is the point.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I just bought a set of Pacesetters from Diggler. He said he had them on for only like 15,000 km (If I remember correctly). I noticed when I bought them that they had already started to show signs of leaks around the flex joint. There is a considerable amount of cracking at this point AND although they were sanded and repainted, I can tell around the weld points that there is a pretty severe amount of rust.

I am excited to hear the difference in exaust tone, although after reading this thread, I am a little apprehensive.

I planned to have the flex joint holes welded prior to installation, but I hope this isn't an indication of issues to come...

·
Registered
783 Posts
So what is the diameter of the Brospeed header's pipe where the catalytic meets the y-pipe?
The pips in question is the piece after the y-pipe where it meets the flex/straight pipe then to the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pacesetter

I have just completed a pacesetter install,(what a PITA) and it has changed the exhaust note quite a bit, has kind of a low bass noise all the way to 5500 rpm then a little bit raspy but not as bad as the exhaust clips show it to be. I should also mention that I re-coated the headers with 1500 degree F enamel, wraped them with fiber insulation wrap, and then coated all of this with silcone spray.

The rest of my exhaust consists of a borla cat-back setup without the cat.}) I also plugged the egr. (To much of a PITA to re-hook, keep going cross-threated)

As for power gains, definelty more torque thoughtout the entire rpm range, hp seems to be more noticable on the top end of the rpm range.

·
Registered
947 Posts
my obx work great and i put them on without issue other thatn the egr problem just got it wleded shut really bring on the power.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The SS AutoChrome headers fit just fine, except the EGR, which is apparently not uncommon to some of the others. And they work/sound great. For the price, I think the SSAC give you excellent bang/buck.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Mike 94PGT said:
If you go with the Pacesetters, (b) will cause the exhaust note to become rather gross sounding, much like a 60-degree GM V6.
These will make your car sound like MAJOR ass with exhaust. Its makes it so rasssssspspppspsppy.

-justin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts