Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what exactly headers are, i mean where do u put them on ur car? what r their advantages? and about how much do they cost?
thanx a lot, im trying to learn as much stuff as possible
im new so bear with me

thanx again

PT

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
PimpTown said:
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what exactly headers are, i mean where do u put them on ur car? what r their advantages? and about how much do they cost?
thanx a lot, im trying to learn as much stuff as possible
im new so bear with me

thanx again

PT
Headers are (usually) tubular steel pipes mated to a flange that bolts up to the cylinder head in place of the stock exhaust manifold.

Factory manifolds are typically heavy iron castings with rough interiors and runner sizes and lengths designed more with packaging (keeping it tight to the engine to reduce the size of the engine/manifold package) and emissions in mind than exhaust flow.

Headers offer smoother turns in the runners, smoother passages, equal length runners (in some cases) and different tuning of the runner lengths (e.g. for the V6, HS headers have short primaries, Pacesetters have long primaries.) The goal is to free up the path the exhaust takes out of the exhaust ports of the head(s), which should improve exhaust scavenging (i.e. getting exhaust gases out of the cylinder), resulting in more power.

·
Registered
100 Posts
this mean changing header can increase HP but decrease torque ? Will this result to higher fuel consumption ?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
rosecuvee said:
this mean changing header can increase HP but decrease torque ? Will this result to higher fuel consumption ?
It often can. Many times, you'll see a car lose some low-RPM torque but gain a bit up top. This results in more peak HP but a slight loss of in-town driveability due to the low-RPM torque loss.

·
Registered
100 Posts
is the any way to gain HP without decreasing fuel consumption ?
I know cold air intake can do that. Besides an CAI, is there any method ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mike 94PGT

I saw your website and you have some computer mod to increase HP. I like your VRIS mod especially. Do you have any site that show this mod ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts