Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there bought pacesetter headers for their first gen? just wondering if you have noticed as soon as they are installed, a slight clicking sound, and the paint burning off of yhem as soon as you turn the engine over???

·
Registered
186 Posts
Smachan installed them on his car, so ask him about it. I ordered mine today, but my car has a cracked exhaust manifold, so it's in bad shape already. It might be a loose nut, or clogged HLAs. Just some ideas.
The paint is just for looks before you install it. It's meant to burn off. I'm going to coat mine with a high-temp ceramic-metalic paint. Do you have them installed on your car? Any problems with installation?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had em installed yesterday, just concerned about that clicking sound, sounds like im driving a mini [email protected]!#, i tried to spray 500 degree engine enamel on it but that burned off quicker, maybe they make 1000 deg paint for it. i called modern performance and asked them his replie was "they have no guarantee, they are just cheap headers", that kindof p#%^d me off because if i would have known that i would have bought the chrome ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know what hlas are , i looked at it earlier, and there is a bolt that seems loose, hell i dont know, i woul like to find that high degree paint though!!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
smachan to the rescue.

hey man, mine started ticking after i put on my header as well. i thought it was my HLA's, but since you have the same problem it makes me wonder. it may be the valves opening and closing though. i am due for an oil change, going to put some mystery oil in. that may cure the problem, i hope so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does the header come with a paper gasket that goes between the peices? If it does, then chances are that te gasket blew out, and that noise is an exhaust eak in the header. I haven't got mineyet, but I'll check it out when I get it. As far as the paint goes, yu can get it at any NAPA auto parts store.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i would not paint over the black that is already on there. if you do you wasted your time. the paint it comes with burns off in about 10 miles. sand it off and hi-temp it, that is your best bet.

the gasket isnt leaking on mine, but the egr is. it wouldnt tighten down enough over the end. i tried to fill the gap with the black gooy stuff. it cured for about 24 hrs, but it didnt work to well. anyone have any ideas on how to stop the leak?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mabye the Probe EGR valve is shaped slightly different. And, since the header is designed for the probe, that might be causing the leak. If you can get an EGR valve from a local junkyard, then try that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only thing i can seem to come up with is to get 1500 d paint, or powder coat them, guess i will have to live with it, i still would like to know about that ticcking sound!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
front or rear? front no, rear no. but i do have one for an acura integra. $10 and it is yours. i bought it off of killer mx6 when he parted out his car. it looks like shit, doesnt fit an mx6 and is worthless to us, he forgot to tell me that. you may know some one with an acura.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i took it back today, everything is tight and there are no leaks, but i did put a 31/2 inch pipe, from the header mount, and bypassed the resignator, now im runnin headers, to catco cat converter(for a all wheel drive talon) straight 31/2 pipe branched to my weaponr catbak system, this mutha [email protected]#!r ROCKS, its real low bass, and adds 10 more horses, my boy scott at this pro shop here in richmond did it,custom flanges/pipes/and hangers, took him five hours!!!, but it was well worth it, and it has much more free flow, plus power

·
Registered
405 Posts
actually the bar is to long. i really dont care about adapter plates because i dont need it. but you could have some made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
send it to me i will see what i can do with it, thanks bro hey do you know of any bulk buys on those bars?? i mean for mx6??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts