Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i did the search and see that other people have posted about their headlights and fog lights not coming on and the relay needed to be replaced. I dont have too much knowledge about electric system in a 6 so is this something i can replace by myself with limited knowledge about what im doing or would i be better off just taking it to a mechanic. If you can tell me how to fix it myself or point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it fellas.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
its a relay beside the fuse box, its covered in a rubber i guess to protect it from water...just pull the whole relay out and check the little connectors theyll be burnt if its bad...also check your brake fuse in the engine bay fuse box

·
Registered
97 Posts
is it a i4 or v6, v6's headlight relay is off to the left of the fuse box if your standing in front of the car... about a foot away or so, the relay closest to the fuse box ended up being my turn signal relay when i was replacing it... there the same model relay so you can interchange them for the time being if needed

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
US models must be different to UK then...... We don't have a relay for the headlights...

John

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yup, same problem but had it fixed. These are 2 relays mounted on a bracket with rubber protection on them, lol, (that was funny)

They are on the side of the fuse box near the engine compartment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k i switched the relays and now the headlights are working. i thought i read somewhere else that the turn signals wouldnt be working now but they are. so if you know what shouldnt be working lemme know before i find out the hard way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you switched the head light relay with the turn signal relay, the turn signals shouldnt be working, if the relay is bad... its possible that the connect the relay clips into, has a bad connection... there is another relay you can switch it with that is around the 2, and to be honest, i have NO CLUE what it does, i just bought all new relays and replaced them all, i also had to get a new "clip thing"... stole mine from a junk yard lol, suggest doing that, the headlights are something that is "supposed" to rarely have a problem, so a junk yard one should work fine... let me know how it goes

·
Registered
176 Posts
There was a recall of the headlight/turn signal combo switch on the column a few years back. It was a safety recall, because apparently the original switch could fail and the headlights would suddenly go off (Saftey concern if happened while driving at night). I had my entire switch replaced at a Mazda dealer in about 5 minutes for free. Worth looking into.

Hope this helps,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts