Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 94 V6 (Canadian model, with Daytime Running Lights). I think this is right.

I have solved my problem (turned out coincidences do happen, and both low beam bulbs burned out at exactly the same time, possibly because if one burns out the resistance in the circuit drops and the voltage spikes momentarily, which may burn out the other bulb??). But I thought I would add a record of what I've learned about the relays.

You might think: there's one relay for the low beams; a second relay for the high beams (and a third for the DRLs).
But that is not quite right.

1. There is one MAIN relay for the headlights. If that relay fails, you lose BOTH low and high beams (but can still flash the high beams by pulling the stalk). That main headlight relay is located OUTSIDE the underhood fuse box. There are two relays on a bracket next to the fuse box, both protected by rubber "condoms". The one nearest the firewall is the main headlight relay (I think the other one is for the rear defrost, but I'm not sure about that).

2. There is a second relay inside the underhood fuse box itself, that switches the headlights from low to high beam. If that relay fails, you only get low beams.

(3. For Canadians: And a third relay inside the underhood fuse box itself that switches on the DRLs.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is for a 94 V6 (Canadian model, with Daytime Running Lights). I think this is right.

I have solved my problem (turned out coincidences do happen, and both low beam bulbs burned out at exactly the same time, possibly because if one burns out the resistance in the circuit drops and the voltage spikes momentarily, which may burn out the other bulb??). But I thought I would add a record of what I've learned about the relays.

You might think: there's one relay for the low beams; a second relay for the high beams (and a third for the DRLs).
But that is not quite right.

1. There is one MAIN relay for the headlights. If that relay fails, you lose BOTH low and high beams (but can still flash the high beams by pulling the stalk). That main headlight relay is located OUTSIDE the underhood fuse box. There are two relays on a bracket next to the fuse box, both protected by rubber "condoms". The one nearest the firewall is the main headlight relay (I think the other one is for the rear defrost, but I'm not sure about that).

2. There is a second relay inside the underhood fuse box itself, that switches the headlights from low to high beam. If that relay fails, you only get low beams.

(3. For Canadians: And a third relay inside the underhood fuse box itself that switches on the DRLs.)
I have a 94 Mazda MX6, 2.5LV6, 5 speed. I wish what you are saying about "There is a second relay inside the underhood fuse box itself, that switches the headlights from low to high beam. If that relay fails, you only get low beams." I have only low beams. I just looked in the underhood fusebox and can find no such relay. I'm pretty sure my problem is in the column switch. The high beam contacts tend to get corroded or burned. I have read this from others. Could you tell me the exact location inside the fusebox or maybe the label for this relay? I'm think the difference is Canadian vs USA. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Standing by the driver's side front wheel, there are 3 relays in a row on your right side (the side of the fusebox nearest the firewall). The " HEAD HI RELAY GA32" is the one farthest away from you (in the corner nearest the brake fluid reservoir). It's green.

Do your high beams flash when you pull the column stalk towards you? If not, it's probably the bulbs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, both high beams come on when I pull the column stalk towards me. So, it is not the bulbs. I have looked everywhere for a green GA32 relay. I can not find one. I have read and believe my problem is worn contacts in the column switch itself. Others have cleaned off the corrosion from the contacts and gotten them to work. I just haven't wanted to pull the column apart to check.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts