Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hate how the headlight covers of my high/low beams are this dirty yellow color. What are our options for the six?

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Did you try to search on this? Well, you can get a set of E-specs or J-specs or just clean up your old ones. That's what I did with my headlights. They look/light a whole bunch better now.

Remove the headlight from the car.

You can carefully try to get the lens apart from the back cover of the headlight. It helps if you warm the light a little so the glue melts.

Be careful with ripping the lens of, the back cover is very easy to break. :eek:

Use some wet sanding paper on the outside of the lens. Start with 800 and finish with 1200 or even finer. (I used 1500). Polish it like a maniac. :freak:

For the mirror side of the light, now be careful not to scratch it too much. I used a soft piece of fabric and an air gun to get the dust out of it. Every wipe with even a soft fabric scrathes the mirror so do it with care.

Glue the lens back. I used polyurethane glue (thats what they use on the cars body too, but I'd guess any good plastic glue would do it as well.)

Install the headlight and compare it with the dirty one. XO See the difference and feel good. :cool:

Mici :idea:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey save yourself the headache from doing all that and just do what i did.
First u can just leave the headlight where it is because the oxidation that occurs is from the sunlight and is just on the outside of the lense. Now you have two options
You can wetsand the lense with some fine sandpaper. (1200 or 1500)
Or if your lazy like me and can't find any fine sand paper, use gold old fashion acetone (nail polish remover). Scrub the acetone with the back end of a sponge (the rough end) or even a brillo pad. It'll look like the lense is smeared when your done scrubbing but then jsut spray the light with windex (or anytype of glass cleaner) and clean it and let dry. The difference is definitley noticable but probably not as good as the wet sanding method.
As deejayarse said search through the board. There are a few threads about this already.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Yes, Allworldkj, you're right. BUT, I had some dirt inside the lens too. If you don't, don't take the lens of. Sorry, forget to mention that.
Mici

1 - 5 of 5 Posts