Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppl

Driving home the other day

car starts grinding and banging. pop the hood, fearing the worst.

found no alternator or PS belts. Wondered where they went...

Noticed the main pulley wasnt straight.

On closer inspection, found that the outer ring of the main pulley where the belt goes had completely separated from the part that bolts to the crank.

it was jiggling freely around and rattling against the chassis, with the inner part still firmly bolted on.

i always assumed it was one peice?

so now, no alternator or steering till i get a new pully.

never heard of this b4, wondering if anyone else has...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
never seen them completely fail, but we've had account of the inner ring slipping the outer ring and throwing off the timing mark.

·
short stroker
235 Posts
this happened to me a few years ago. Mine was more gradual though, I noticed a strange squealing sound, looked at the pulleys expecting a loose belt or something, and I saw just what you described- outer part of the pulley was separating from the inner and rubbing against the plastic timing belt cover. I guess the rubber damper wears out/tears after a certain amount of time...like all rubber I guess.
so it's not one piece...it's a damper, the rubber part dampens the harmonics caused by cylinders firing (or something like that)

·
Registered
437 Posts
So what happens after all this? Can you just go to a junk yard and pick up any mx6 (of that year) harmonic balancer? They dont make a "re-ring" kit for the pulley do they? That would be a pain to put back together!

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Yeah, go to the yards and yank a new one. Just make sure when you pull it, the timing mark is lining up correctly before you purchase. It should be roughly in the 1 or 2 o'clock position with the key facing 12 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
i wouldnt assume too much until you get in there and see whats up. the key might be out of the keyway on the crank sprocket, and could definitely have fubared the crank and\or crank sprocket. if that just happens to be the case and it looks any worse than this guys crank, you better find a new engine

At wits end - Page 2 - Performance Probe Forum

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bought a 626 for $125 with this problem. Guy thought the motor was toast. Got a junkyard pulley for 8 bucks and car was back on the road. Sold it for$500

1 - 8 of 8 Posts