Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i got my (aftermarket) manifold hpc coated about 2-3 years ago and i got a issue with my a/c compressor inlet and outlet orings always leak gas after i go up mt nebo or high boost runs(working the turbo) i was thinking about heat wrapping it has anyone had any experience with this stuff or like having both heat wrap and hpc coating thanks any info much appreicated thanks shane

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I use heat wrap tape on my dump pipe, yes its effective, but you really need heat shields if you going to stop your a/c going wrong.

I have destroyed the real seal in 3 a/c compressors over 6 years on my GC even with heat wrap tape on the dump pipe.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
yeah the thin metal heat sheilds do the most.

but to improve my air con. I actually also fibreglass wrapped my a/c pipes. near any of the heat and added extra foam insulation.

HPC coatings work well but heat sheilds do the best. If oyu can make up some new ones out of 3mm thick sheet metal. 5mm would do even a better job. If you can send them out to be ceramic coated either side. It makes them even better again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
what heat wrap are you using??? i got fibreglass wrap on my intercooler pipes (which run over the motor and right next to the dump on my laser) and they are cold to touch, even next to the dump pipe (even though you cant hold for long as the dump pipe is stupid hot lol)... are you just buying cheap shyte or something??? as for the seals.... well, i had to do away with my aircon for the 2 3/4 dump pipe to fit, so i cant help you with that... even on my AS Turbo though i never had a problem with either the powersteering seals or the aircon, and that had a bigger turbo... but the dump pipe was stock and didn't have the shield, it used to run red after a hard run...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
normal a/c orings from my work and i haven't purchased heat wrap yet i wanting to find out more info before i buy it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts