Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After coming home from driving around for a while through the city, stop start etc Inspected under the hood to see if everything was all good, just noticed that the front pipe off turbo was fairly hot. Thinking about just wrapping that front pipe with some heat resistant tape, found a few on ebay, go for around 40 bux + , anyone tryed the stuff does it work well ?

thanks guys

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
i would give it a shot, it cant hurt anyway i assume there is very little clearance betwwen that pipe and the manifold

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
That pipe will always be hot. The wrap stuff does work well. You could even try the aluminium insulated material wrap. more expensive though, but looks better. I would wrap the pipes from the cooler to the TB also.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
SABBAi said:
I would wrap the pipes from the hella hella cool er to the TB also.
word filters gone to buggery :lol: hehe

but yeh I was thinking of putting some insulation on the air con pipes (the exposed metal bits you can see in the pic) cos they are freezing with the air con on, but ive felt them when the air con is off and they are fairly hot (right near the turbo) so i think a bit of efficiency is being lost there.

good idea sabbai about wrapping the IC to TB pipes

and tomee im not sure there would be much point, the stock hoses arent close to the manifold really, so leaving them unwrapped should dissapate some heat in fact

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put le heat wrap on, looks not bad and works very 0good.. Pipe is still warm, but not 10000million degrees as before, i couldnt even keep my hand on it for 5 seconds prior to putting the wrap on it, now just slightly warm. very pleased :)

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
that stuff looks pretty swish :cool: how much did you pay for it. prolly beats the flaky fiberglass one (ease of use wise - not cost wise). i guess you wont know how hot it is inside the pipe however, but yeh hope it does some good

·
Registered
541 Posts
tip - for keeping heat IN (ie headers and exhaust) use the fibreglass wrap - for keepin heat OUT use the ali wrap (as above).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I used aluminium wall insulation stuff to do my post I.C to TB pipe

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I wrapped my AC pipes, made a noticible difference to the temp of the air on your face.

I need to do that so my AC pipes as well... just too lazy. I mean busy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts