Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heated side view mirror fix?!?!? -Update

Had my car polished the other day and the guy who did the cleaning of windows, 'accidently' dislodged the top (of 2) contacts on the rear window that controls the rear window defogger and the heated side view mirrors. (The top of the 2 contacts on the passenger side of the glass controls the heated side view mirrors).
He said he didnt do it, but I know for a fact that he did (an honest mistake..but he's not being very honest..) because that AM, I had to use the defogger to clear my rear window and mirrors...- so all was working before I brought it in to be polished.
Has anyone repaired or fixed or 'soldered' the contact back on to the rear window..
If so, what did you use or do??
I'll bet he/they wont come clean on this ..and I dont think I want to drop $100.cad to have a shop do it.
So...being the 'handy man' that I am.. Im looking at trying to fix it myself.
Any suggestions...???
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
TJ-MX6 said:
Had my car polished the other day and the guy who did the cleaning of windows, 'accidently' dislodged the top (of 2) contacts on the rear window that controls the rear window defogger and the heated side view mirrors. (The top of the 2 contacts on the passenger side of the glass controls the heated side view mirrors).
He said he didnt do it, but I know for a fact that he did (an honest mistake..but he's not being very honest..) because that AM, I had to use the defogger to clear my rear window and mirrors...- so all was working before I brought it in to be polished.
Has anyone repaired or fixed or 'soldered' the contact back on to the rear window..
If so, what did you use or do??
I'll bet he/they wont come clean on this ..and I dont think I want to drop $100.cad to have a shop do it.
So...being the 'handy man' that I am.. Im looking at trying to fix it myself.
Any suggestions...???
Thanks
is this anything like you are talking about?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...=2490&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Heated side view mirror fix?!?!?

Goatcrapp said:

Close.. but not quite. The 'grid' on the rear window is fine - the rear defogger works. Its the top contact that controls the heated mirrors that came loose. That contact is what needs to be re-attached by solder or a metalic epoxy....
This JCWhitney product is for the window grid.
Thanks tho'...

·
Registered
387 Posts
How can you tell if you have heated mirrors? Is there some weird attachment to the rear window defogger that I should look for? I feel like I should have them (I have every other option) and I know the mirrors dont act like they have them, so I was just wondering what telltale sign I could look for. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Re: Heated side view mirror fix?!?!?

TJ-MX6 said:

Close.. but not quite. The 'grid' on the rear window is fine - the rear defogger works. Its the top contact that controls the heated mirrors that came loose. That contact is what needs to be re-attached by solder or a metalic epoxy....
This JCWhitney product is for the window grid.
Thanks tho'...
On my '94LS, on the rear window there are 2 contacts attached to the grid on the passenger side. The top contact, controls your heated mirrors. The bottom one, along with the 1 on the drivers side, controls the rear window defogger.
See me orig post here....

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found my fix for the top contact (or any for that matter)...at Canadian Tire, for $10.99. Specifically its a 'Contact Repair Kit' which has a metal conductive adhesive included. Will try it out myself IF I cant get the shop to cover the cost of having it soldered on.
Canadian Tire also has the 'Grid Repair Kit' - as shown in JCWhitney link below. http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...=2490&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101

Same idea and principle.
Just an FYI...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts