Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody pls tell me what is going on with my idle? When engine is @ proper running Temp, it surges up & down from 600 rpm to 1500 rpm, once every second! Damb annoying!!!!!! Is it a temp sensor or to do with an idle switch or what?????:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
does your idle run up and down all the time...does it run high when its not surging? if so your idle switch might need to be adjusted...id say you could try fuel injector cleaner maybe its getting chocked out....but really dont hold me to it, it was just a suggestion i dont know if that might have something to do with it or not...anyways good luck:cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nar.......cleaner didn't work, tried that. it happens when temp is approx @ 1/3 (running temp). motor tries to drop revs to normal but it keeps reving higher again each time.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Check what happens when you disconnect the tps. See if the idle becomes stable. The only time my engine ever surged was when the tps was not adjusted right.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
A vacuum leak at idle can also cause surging, you just have to keep troubleshooting until you hit the solution.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check what happens when you disconnect the tps. See if the idle becomes stable. The only time my engine ever surged was when the tps was not adjusted right.
Thanks Buddy......soon as I disconnected TPS, no surge! I'm gonna leave the freakin' thing off cause even though I adjusted it to try to drop idle speed (always revs @ 1500rpm), makes no difference to idle. Goes like a rocket again with it disconnected anyway!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Before you give up on it, try adjusting it using the fan method (search here how to do it), or try a known working tps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts