Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, just bought my first MX-6 at the weekend. Just waiting for the cheque to clear before I can pick her up. She's a '94 L plate with 114,000 miles on the clock, seems to be mechanically sound, but needs a bit of bodywork done for rust round the two front wheel arches. Had to change car from my old cavalier SRI 8v cos two engine mount bolts snapped off inside the gearbox casing, and she had a huge oil leak. I'm a bit poor now, the mx-6 set me back £1250 :( Never mind, its nice to have a car that stands to last me more than 7,000 miles! Heard about this ticking that the engine makes in these cars, I had noticed it doing it, but it's only really noticeable on tickover, not that I'm that worried about it. So yeah just thought I'd say high.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
welcome 2 the club NODDY

u will get all the help u need here! there r some really really helpfull ppl and they will know about anything! and not just cars! PC internet sound system
we got it all covered here hehe

and the engine has huge potential u just need 2 spend all ur money on the car and she will keep a big smile on ur face hehe

enjoy

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Hi and welcome. :wave:

Enjoy your stay... and more importantly, the car.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.. we're all happy to help.
The car will last a long while yet as lon as you look after it.

Update your profile an let us know where you are. You never know.. you could be living a stones throw away from another member.

Russ

oh... and show us some pics :)

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Welcome Noddy...

When you pick up the car, post us some pictures and feel free to ask any questions regarding things that may be troubling you. If you have any history on the car let us know... cambelt needs to have been changed every 60k so with 114k on the clock, she has either just had one fitted or is due one very soon, and with any used car i buy, change the oil and filter and the coolant as soon as pos, unless documentation shows a very recent service. Pull each spark plug lead from the plugs and check for any oil on the end of them / in the bottom of the spark plug well, and check the leads and plugs for condition, std leads sets are good for about 80k. May also be worth checking the contacts inside the distributor cap and the rotor arm. With your mileage (which is'nt high for these motors), each of these items are best checked to ensure your getting the most out of her, especially if these are the original fitted items.
There are many threads on here documenting common maintainence procedures, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Once again, welcome to the club.... Oddy.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ta Muchly

WOW! Thanks everybody. The first thing I asked about was the timing belt, the bloke reckoned that it was done at 97,000. I understand that getting it serviced can be expensive being that it is a v6 and is hard to look at. I'll probably just take it down to my local mazda garage in town when it comes to service time, they're supposed to be the cheapest dealership in town for that kind of thing. I'll be sure to check all the stuff that odball mentioned (nice one Cyril!), and when I get a moment I'll take some pics and post em up. Oh yeah, will update my profile soon.

Thanks again,

N0DDY.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hello there, only stones throw away being at Ipswich, though I haven't got a MX-6 - this lot put up with me 'cos I've got the 2 litre engine in my 323 instead of the 2.5 you have......})

As for garages, hmmmm, hope Donaldson's (?) is better than Garney's & Hill ever were here in Ipswich, but it seems a decent enough place at Bury, just have to bite the bullet and pay main dealer prices I guess - more so after just getting motor (or about too)

Welcome aboard matey!!:D

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
I might as well welcome you to the club as well :wave:

One thing you will notice is the permanent grin you have while driving her.. and that lasts even on very long journeys, which these cars just lap up with ease..

John

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Welcome to the club mate.

Mark

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So err, yeah. Picked my six today, I can really see what your saying about the permenant grin :D, she's great fun to drive!

The only problem I noticed is then when doing 40mph or higher (gets more promenant with speed) when you accelerate, she pulls to the left, then when you decelerate she pulls right and centers out again. I'm pretty certain that she doesn't have 4ws, could this be something to do with the CV joint?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Definately right on getting it looked at str8 away. If it is tracking it strips your tires out real quick! And even if it isnt last thing you want is to end up in a ditch or something, the roads are bad enough at this time of year!
Anyway glad your happy with the care, dont forget any advice simply ask..... My attitude is the more money people here save me by identifing probs and helping fix probs means the more money i have to spend on mods!!!!!!! And nobody would begrudge you that!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts