Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am sort of an odd man out. I actually have a 97 probe with the 2.5L motor. I haven't found an active probe forum, so I thought I might try here. I, of course have a problem, or I would be out driving, instead of posting :)

I'll find the right sub forum, but also leave my main question here, so you say "hey, we don't go for that sort of thing around here" before you get to know me and feel obligated to respond....

lots of questions, thanks in advance for even reading this.

My basic problem is camshaft removal and replacement. I'm currently working on the side towards the front of the car (is that the left side for parts, etc?) I can't get the timing belt pulley off. It is torqued to some ungodly spec apparently. I have a tool on order to hopefully lock the cams together, and that may solve my problem, but any other tips? reverse threads? or some similar nonsense?

on to parts. I will need to replace the exhaust cam on that side, I broke the disc that rides in a grove just inside the cam gear. I see almost no sign of exhaust cams for sale, and nothing that seems to be the one I need (stamped kl01 451, which seems to be different than the mazda part number). Assuming I can actually get the cam out of the motor, it looks like that disc can be replaced, is it available? if not could I buy one of the intake cams that seem to be available and just use that disc?

anyway. Hello.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may have answered one of my questions. I have a page with part numbers and if I have it correct, then the cams are the same on each side, just have the gear on the opposite end. no need to worry about Y vs. Z maybe?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Cams are not the same head to head, there are 4 cams total, and am 4 only for in their respective space. This "disc" that broke, are you referring to the thrust that prevents the cams from sliding side to side?
Cams from any US spec 2.5 should be essentially interchangeable, there might be slight variances over the years, so you can match a set of you feel you need to, but I don't know all the individual part numbers or variances. I have a set on a shelf i can check the numbers, but they are a matching set destined for a car so can't break the set to sell one, but I can dig through some of the other stuff I have around possibly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all. I am sort of an odd man out. I actually have a 97 probe with the 2.5L motor. I haven't found an active probe forum, so I thought I might try here. I, of course have a problem, or I would be out driving, instead of posting :)
Forums in general aren't nearly as busy as they used to be. But years ago when I owned a '95 626 there was this forum, mazda626.net, and Probetalk.com as information sources. As of this morning, they're all still there though I can't comment as to how active any of them (including this one) might be.

After 19 years owning our 626, we let it go to one of the grandkids as her first car, so I'm not a very active member here or on the others. But I may be able to help if your post shows up on the weekly highlighted posts that I still get from this site.

Welcome aboard, and welcome to ownership of a car with a shared (and underrated) chassis. Neat little sixxer and gearbox, too.

Norm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Norm
[/QUOTE]
Cams are not the same head to head, there are 4 cams total, and am 4 only for in their respective space. This "disc" that broke, are you referring to the thrust that prevents the cams from sliding side to side?
Cams from any US spec 2.5 should be essentially interchangeable, there might be slight variances over the years, so you can match a set of you feel you need to, but I don't know all the individual part numbers or variances. I have a set on a shelf i can check the numbers, but they are a matching set destined for a car so can't break the set to sell one, but I can dig through some of the other stuff I have around possibly.

Yeah, I get that there are 4 different cams, 2 in, 2 out. It seems like intake cams are available as NOS, what I need is a 'left hand' exhaust cam, and yes I think it is the thrust as you call it. It rides in its own slot, on the left side the disc/slot is near the gears and (from diagrams and pictures) on the right side it on the opposite end. I am not sure about compatibility year to year, It seems like parts are often claim support up to 1994.

I do see a "LH" head for sale on ebay, maybe that is my best bet, it claims 1994, but if as you say they are basically all interchangeable that may work.

some of my notes:
From what I can gather the 'Right side' is the firewall side, and the Left is to the front.

some other tidbits on part numbers:(at least what I can find so far)

F62Z-6250-AA - LH intake stamped KL01 431
???? - LH exhaust stamped KL01 451
F62Z-6250-DA - RH exhaust stamped ???? (I can find this if/when I pull the other cover)
F62Z-6250-EA - RH intake stamped KL01 441

F32Z-6250F - left exhaust, 1993 I think, but is probably for the 2.0 not the 2.5, I've seen it listed for both

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forums in general aren't nearly as busy as they used to be. But years ago when I owned a '95 626 there was this forum, mazda626.net, and Probetalk.com as information sources. As of this morning, they're all still there though I can't comment as to how active any of them (including this one) might be.

After 19 years owning our 626, we let it go to one of the grandkids as her first car, so I'm not a very active member here or on the others. But I may be able to help if your post shows up on the weekly highlighted posts that I still get from this site.

Welcome aboard, and welcome to ownership of a car with a shared (and underrated) chassis. Neat little sixxer and gearbox, too.

Norm

Thank you for being welcoming. I'm happy for any activity, keeps the cold and dark away. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts